The house caught fire, the tank exploded

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14885534#post14885534 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by slathrum
The wire length isn't a problem though. It's not ideal but you can splice the wire to lengthen it if needed.

Is it legal to splice in the box/panel? I know that each town has it's own "legal", but does the NEC code say you can or can't splice within your panel? This is great news if it is since this has been the main roadblock for me.

I've been doing this a long time and I think that this is the first time I've ever thought twice about having a fish tank. I just installed a GFI outlet for the tank this week and I am looking at some other things that may need revision. THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!!

Regarding your situation; I searched your posts because I wanted to see a picture of what the set-up was like before and I stumbled across something that you posted previously:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1587691

Not trying to dig up old wounds or anything; more just trying to convince myself that this won't happen to me! That said, what part do you think this had to play in the fire? Was the trigger continuing to spit?

Sorry for your loss and hope everything works out for you!

You know, I hadn't thought of the trigger spitting causing the fire. But, the lights were off for three hours before the smoke detectors went off, he should have been asleep. I say should, but don't know they were asleep. They had been fed at around 8 that night, and the SO spent some time by the tank re-stringing a lacrosse stick.

As all fish, they all had very specific sleeping habits. When the lights would go off, the trigger would disappear into whatever crack he hid in at night, the clown would go to one of her big anemones, the lion would find his cave or sleep vertically against the glass, the frog fish would hang out in his sand burrow, and the tang would still mindlessly dart in and out of the rock work like nothing had changed. The trigger was not active at night at all, so if he HAD done the damage it was well in advance.

I don't know how much his spitting had to play in the fire- he had a pretty good aim and would usually just spit straight into the overflow, thats not to say perhaps he found a way to spit at the lights, or anything else in the hood that could have caused the fire just because it seemed like a good idea at the time.

AFCI breakers are required by code here in Las Vegas for the bedrooms only. My house was built in 2005 and has AFCI's installed.

Later
Drew

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14886626#post14886626 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by duijver
Is it legal to splice in the box/panel? I know that each town has it's own "legal", but does the NEC code say you can or can't splice within your panel? This is great news if it is since this has been the main roadblock for me.

you can extend the wires with wirenuts in a panel but you cant use the panel as a splicebox or junction box, if you know what i mean

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14890380#post14890380 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mustang51js
you can extend the wires with wirenuts in a panel but you cant use the panel as a splicebox or junction box, if you know what i mean

Thanks! That's good to know - so it's in the NEC codebook somewhere? Sorry, i've heard horror stories about inspectors in my town. I've heard that things are denied and contractors/homeowners need to argue it to the point of quoting the text.

the problem is that the first code in the nec states that the inspector has the say in the code, so he can make whatever code he wants,but ive never had a problem with extending wires in the panel.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14752633#post14752633 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by michael_cb_125
OMG, I am so sorry for your losses and damage to your home.

That first picture is really upsetting.

~Michael

Back