The importance of regular cleanings

HumanIMDB

Premium Member
Last night I noticed that the skimmer wasn't working. The main cylinder was mostly empty and water was just barely coming into the skimmer. (See <a href="http://www.lifereef.com/venturi.html" target=_blank>LifeReef SVS2-24</a> for a picture)

At first I thought it was the Mag-Drive 9.5 pump, so I took it apart and let the impeller soak in vinegar overnight.

This morning I scrubbed the impeller and housing and put it back together...same thing, hardly any water entering the skimmer.

I tested the pump and it was definitely pumping water so I took the Venturi tube off the skimmer. There was something clogging the Venturi tube so I spent the next 30 minutes scrubbing all of the parts. You wouldn't believe the crap (literally I'm sure) that had built up inside all of the parts. Once water was flowing normally again, I put it all back together and tested it out. Bingo, normal skimmer operation again.

I had to dial it back a bit as it was skimming pretty wet after not running for 24-48 hours.

Last edited:
Yep. Hair algae, Cerith snails, too, can cause a temporary stoppage. Protect your intakes. SKimmers are cranky things, and have to be adjusted periodically. An occasional overnight in white vinegar can do wonders for a pump.

You should develop a "daily", "weekly", "monthly", "quarterly" husbandry schedule for maintenance and set up a service life for each piece that is a wear item.

Don't wait for that heater to stick on and cook your tank....don't wait for that pump to seize to replace it.......clean them to extend their service life, and replace the items BEFORE problems develop.

BTW if you have an air compressor they can do wonders on things like venturi tubes and other small lines and parts to blow the junk clear with minimal maintenance. I had a low pressure drip top-off that stopped keeping up with evaporation (didn't drip fast enough anymore) and a few seconds at the business end of the my air compressor had it back to normal.

You should develop a "daily", "weekly", "monthly", "quarterly" husbandry schedule for maintenance and set up a service life for each piece that is a wear item.

Don't wait for that heater to stick on and cook your tank....don't wait for that pump to seize to replace it.......clean them to extend their service life, and replace the items BEFORE problems develop.

so what kind of maintenance do you do to your heater? I am fearful that mine may stick on and fry my tank!

Back