The other salt box- 7.5g Bar Tank

Tweaked

FUP&A Member
As you may have read in my red sea program post, I am killing my softies as I move toward the SPS dosing program of Red Sea. The low nutrient water (no algae yaaa!) has made my zoos and alike very moody lol, so I have been moving things to my 7.5 which was originally just a test to see how easy I could do a salt tank. Tank has been up since Jan and running strong with minimal maintenance. Also just recently upgraded the LEDs to two TrueLumen Pro strips each on dimmers/timmers all mounted on a fully adjustable arm from a computer monitor I got from work.

7.5 Gallon Low Iron Rimless Mr. Aqua (12x12x12)
Fluval 205 skimming water via custom overflow to hide intake and heater. Runs Chemi Pure Elite, and Floss
1 - 12" White/Actinic TrueLumen LED Strip on Dimmer
1 - 12" Actinic TrueLumen LED Strip on Dimmer
1 "“ 3" Actinic CurrentUSA Moon Light
1 "“ 350 Koralia Nano

1 Yellow Prawn Goby (paired with pistol)
1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp
1 Tiger Serpent
1 Mini Maxi Anemone
3 Sexy Shrimp
1 Halloween Crab
1 Electric Blue Crab
2 Large Feather Dusters
Misc. Snails

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Also, I attribute the low maintenance to my CUC. No joke I have a million pods of all sizes, and about 200 bristle worms! When I put the zoos in the tank, everything went to work and cleaned every crack of the polyps which had misc. film and spots. Now all of the zoos are opening and looking great. The sexies are quite the cleaners too, not to mention fun to watch.

Question, the only coral I had in the tank before last week was a kenya tree that was doing great and grew like 1/4" a week. And since the addition of the zoos, the tree shriveled and has yet to respond- 7 days almost now. Didn't disturb, nothing. Is it due to the toxicity of the water from the zoos?

Awesome little zoa city you have there. It might be the zoas crapping out some yucky stuff that upset the kenya tree. But I wouldn't worry to much about it because those things are pretty much bullet proof. Give it time to adjust to its new neighbors and I'm sure it will take off again. And if not I'm sure there is 100 people here that would gladly give you a bucket full of it to try again, lol.

I've secretly wanted to see this bar tank we've been hearing about for some time now :eek: Looking good! Love a zoa tank, not only that but this is my ideal (size & dimension) frag/holding tank right now. So dig it I do sir!
It's very cool you had this established and ready for your collection. My RedSea foundations kit should be in any day and depending on what direction I go with it I may find myself in a similar boat softie-wise.
If you do wind up wanting more Kenya tree I have a large colony somebody gave me, I'd be happy to cut a piece off

I've secretly wanted to see this bar tank we've been hearing about for some time now :eek: Looking good! Love a zoa tank, not only that but this is my ideal (size & dimension) frag/holding tank right now. So dig it I do sir!
It's very cool you had this established and ready for your collection. My RedSea foundations kit should be in any day and depending on what direction I go with it I may find myself in a similar boat softie-wise.
If you do wind up wanting more Kenya tree I have a large colony somebody gave me, I'd be happy to cut a piece off

Love this zoa tank looks so nice, and Justin hows the kenya tree doing? And i just got the Red Sea Reef Foundation test kit time to watch my Alk.

Kenya's huge Steve thanks again, hope the move went smoothly for you

It actually went really well, I think the only loss out of everything was one of the Rastas new polyps isn't open yet will see how everything does.
And sorry for hijacking your thread.

This tank confirms that a zoa tank can be amazing. Truly, your tank is a work of art. Thank you for sharing; I feel very inspired to do something similar.

Also, do you happen to have any pictures of your goby/pistol shrimp pair?

Wait, I might sort-of take the picture request back. I see the yellow watchman in several of the pictures. How could I miss him?

Wait, I might sort-of take the picture request back. I see the yellow watchman in several of the pictures. How could I miss him?

Thanks all for the compliments. Kinda just happened on accident lol I will try and snap a pic for ya of the pair. And yep he and she have been under that rock since the start. The rock is shaped like an upside down bowl with an arch way for a door. Believe it or not, the pistol, serpent and goby spend allot of time all under there. Every now and then the pistol will tunnel real far out, only to re bury all the work done that night. I have always loved the partnership between all the inhabitants which is why I never really added coral. So much for that thought.

This tank is even better looking in person and is the reason that I started my work pico. I thank you for the inspiration and my wife "thanks" you for creating yet anther money and time drain for me :)

This tank is even better looking in person and is the reason that I started my work pico. I thank you for the inspiration and my wife "thanks" you for creating yet anther money and time drain for me :)

Ummm, don't drag me into that issue. That was all you lol. I will be setting up another tank btw, but not for the office at this time. The wife is starting a frag tank. More to come.

Went home to check on tanks due to thunderstorms and guess who was out.

As promised, pics of 2 of 3 amigos.

pair2.jpg

Pair1.jpg

Back