The test of time

I was looking over my tank the other day and was thinking what pieces of gear that I still have from when I started or things I would get on a soap box for (meaning I would actively promote because it’s been that good)

My LiterMeter has been with me for over 17 years. So reliable!
Apex - not as reliable (multiple failures over the years) but would not run a tank without one. Such a great tool for monitoring and alerting
Panworld pump - been running continuously for 15+ years. Haven’t touched it, cleaned it. Out of sight out of mind.

Edited - forgot my Tunze Osmosulator. That is prob one of my favorites- not sure how I could forget that one!

Anyone else have gear that stands the test of time? I think my Tunze pumps would have but I went Ecotech and have upgraded/swapped so I won’t count them.

Last edited:
My Iwaki return pump. 13 years with only one intervention, to remove a colonista snail from the impeller drum. Went back together good as gold.
Jager heaters. Age unknown, but good for long, troublefree service.
Tunze pumps for topoff in kalk-charged tubs---never fail. Other pumps die a rapid death (impeller wear).

And if anybody has to move 5000 gallons of water, I'll add the Shinmaywa pump. (koi pond.) 12 years.

Great thread idea! I look forward to seeing more posts. Very useful, thanks!

I'll add Tunze pumps. They never stop working. They're a perfect example of paying a little more up front to save so much more, down the line.

16 years---Oceanic glass tank, 50 gal. With 'topless' canopy. now in use for discus, no sign of wear.

Still running my Oceanic 120 RR since 1995 with a move from Missouri to California in between.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Eheim 1262. I'm not sure it's even possible to kill one. I've got 2 - the new one is ~ 20 years old, the more mature one I got when I first started keeping marine fish in 1988. It had been used for years before that as the circulation pump in a petstore's feeder gold tank since 1970 or so. Oh - and I have that tank too - a Oceanic 120 that weighs a ton, has been through at least 5 or 6 moves with me, and has easily outlasted a couple other tanks. I have replaced the impeller in one of them, but that was due to my own mistake - overdosed Alk and it precipitated out around the magnet.

Have you managed to keep scratches out? Mine has quite a few now. I swear the star fire glass i got is soft! 😀

Holy cow - 20 years!

Eheim 1262. I'm not sure it's even possible to kill one. I've got 2 - the new one is ~ 20 years old, the more mature one I got when I first started keeping marine fish in 1988. It had been used for years before that as the circulation pump in a petstore's feeder gold tank since 1970 or so. Oh - and I have that tank too - a Oceanic 120 that weighs a ton, has been through at least 5 or 6 moves with me, and has easily outlasted a couple other tanks. I have replaced the impeller in one of them, but that was due to my own mistake - overdosed Alk and it precipitated out around the magnet.

I am pretty happy with my Coralife HOT5 4 bulb fixture. I bought it in 2012 and still going strong.

I have an autotopoff.com ATO that's been running in my tanks since I bought it used in 2008, or so.
My used MP40s have been running trouble free since I bought them on RC back in 2012
I had an OceanRunner return that I used from about 2008-2018. I sold the tank, but have no reason to assume that it's not still up and kicking.

I wouldn't swear by their reliability, but I have a Koralia powerhead in my saltwater mixing tank that has been running off and on for the better part of 7 years. I'm pretty sure I bought it about 9 years ago. It's the only one from back then that still works, but it's surprisingly going strong.

Back