The ultimate minimalist reef

If you missed the earlier posts, with stock pump, I get dry foam on top of the wet foam. After the mod, zero foam. Although it could be due to other factors mentioned earlier. But I will worry about it later after the ceramic air stones arrive.

I don't think the ceramic stones will outperform wood diffusers unless that is the ceramic stones are different than the ones I've tried in the past. It could be that you've already skimmed out most of the available surfactants.

That skimmer looks to be a bit of a chode. Typically air stone skimmers work best with tall reaction chambers. Protein skimmers in general work best when the diameter of the reactor chamber is sized appropriately to the bio-load. I think you'll have to wait and see.

I agree. I think the diameter is too big, it will require a certain bubble density to foam properly. I am not like some who obsess about thick skimmate. I tend to skim wet, as long as it is pushing stuffs out it is doing its job.

The wooden diffuser is also making quite a bit of noise now (is this normal?), like frogs croaking in a distance. I suspect it is giving a lot of back pressure, and the air pump isn't pushing all the air it can. I could try 2 diffusers but I will worry about it later on.

Mine never made croaking noises so I'd say it isn't normal. I ran two 3"ish diffusers in a 4" diameter skimmer. I say double down and see if you get more bubbles.

The occasional croaking has now turned into more near constant squeaking, a little like in old movies people shooting laser. I tried bleeding the pressure off the air line. If I open the bleed valve enough the squeaking would stop. The wood diffuser is 2" long btw, and looked like it isn't enough.

The ceramic diffuser came with an optimal air flow number, which made it easy to determine the size and number I need. I ordered a few of each size so that I can play with it.

looking at the first pic of your skimmer if you made a small stand or used a book and hang the pump over the edge of the tank you can just run the skimmer normal and submerge the pump in the tank and not have as much heat as external mounting

what is the big box inside the tank?

Back