the unofficial 100 millionth fmas sand thread

Reefers4U

I've seen like three sand threads asking where to get sand and I'm too lazy to bang on the search tool. plus I need thread count. haha

what are the sand options here in sofl? The disposition is counter-intuitive as it seems the sand here on the beaches is too "brown" to be useful. Is the only options sand in a bag? I think I'll splurge for new sand as opposed to purchasing some used sand.

How about black sand... any problems with that?

how much sand do you need? is it for the 90gal?

everyone has there own opinion but I like mixing a few bags of cora-pet #2 with 1 bag of arag-alive.

I purchased a bag of black aragonite for my nano but I personally didn't like the look.

Hands down the best sand is Tropic Eden Reef Flakes. Cant get it local thou, but I would highly recommend it.

reefers4u all kidding aside how much sand do you need? I might have some left over I can give you...it is just dead as a doornail but it is is larger grain so powerheads will not blow away.

how much sand do you need? is it for the 90gal?

I purchased a bag of black aragonite for my nano but I personally didn't like the look.

Yeah its for my 90. I'd like to lay down about 3-4 inches. I can grab a cup from the beach and let it seed - don't think that would look too poor.

Urban? What is that?

I've had PITA sand before so I'm in no hurry to make a move until I'm sure its the right one

Local petsmarts or pet supermarkets have a sand im using and am happy with. Its by caribsea, seaflor reef grade sand. Bought it most recently for i think $32 or $36 cant remember but its for a 40lb bag so 2 bags should be more than enough. Its similar in size and consistency to the sand that bandomo recommended.

thanks thunda - thats a pretty good price. did you wash it out in a pillowcase before you added? have any idea what the grain size you used is?

thanks thunda - thats a pretty good price. did you wash it out in a pillowcase before you added? have any idea what the grain size you used is?

This is a link to the exact product on Drs Foster

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...6111&subref=AA&CAWELAID=525406180&cagpspn=pla

Its 1.0 to 2.0 mm grain. I live in a condo unit so my rinsing procedures are a bit different, lol. I usually fill a 5 gal bucket 1/3 way up with sand and put it in the tub and fill the bucket up, then i put my hand in and swish it around to bring up all the murk and particles and quickly dump out the dirty water while its all still suspended. I repeat that procedure maybe 5-6 times. When i did that last time my water was "slightly" cloudy for maybe 2-3 hours. Next morning it was crystal clear.

this was a previous sand thread on here, check out the link. Youll see the reef grade sand and the finer fiji pink or whatever it was in that pic with the dime. I also posted a pick of my tank so you can kind of imagine how it looks from a normal perspective.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20595016&postcount=18

FYI you can buy a bag from Drs Foster right now for $26.19 and if you buy 2 your at $52.38. Free shipping on orders over $49 :)

all i can say is that i have a 48x24in footprint on my tank. And i have about 2-3 inches of sand and i used 1 full bag and 1/2 of a second bag.

Urban is a LFS that use to sell agriculture sand that will multiply in your tank. They will also put good equipment in the trash and people will pick them up for free.

Since your in Deerfield, try Ecoreef. They are on Atlantic in the shopping center just west of intercoastal (eastbound side of rd) I got sand there a few years ago. I wanna say 30lbs for $17 or something like that (or atleast thats what I paid back than)

You have recommended a lfs other than urban? That's it your cut off from going to urban. Lol. That's what the short guy who ran this place said to many of us for similar reasons? that's about when they went out of business.

You guys need help. Kicking the guy while he's down. So much anger built inside. Leave the little guy alone LOL.

Sent from somewhere

Back