The war on Aiptasia... adding an Aiptaser to the arsenal!

neuroslicer

Old School Reefer
aiptaser1.jpg

aiptaser2.jpg

I've made a DC current probe similar to the Majano Wand developed by Paul Baldassano (www.majanowand.com). It consists of a 12V 1 amp DC current source from Radio Shack. While you're there pick up a push button switch as well. It creates a small DC electric field between the anode and cathode, and since it's DC current there's no danger of electrocuting anything outside of this small electric field (even with 1 amp of current!). When switched on, the negative lead (cathode) emits hydrogen gas as the positive ions accumulate there. Some people have speculated that it's the hydrogen gas that kills the Aiptasia, but I believe this to be false. Even at lower voltages that emit less gas there's still tissue damage. I'm convinced that the current itself is sufficient to cause the tissue damage.... cardiologists use this procedure every day to destroy hyperactive heart tissue that causes heart rhythm disorders... the process is called radio frequency ablation.

Anyway, more on the construction: I first tried using stainless steel welding wire for both positive and negative leads... but the positive anode showed rapid corrosion (as positive iron atoms migrated toward the cathode.... you could see the water fouling quickly). So I got a graphite stick at The Art Supply Center on Union Ave. and used that as the anode instead. Graphite is an electrically conductive form of carbon that is much more stable than iron, so you won't see any contamination of the water with the graphite anode. Once you've got the leads soldered, stick them into a PVC tube and seal up both ends with silicone caulk.

Next, how effective is this little bugger... it has pros and cons. The pros are that if your Aiptasia is well exposed, then just prodding it with the cathode will quickly kill it (the tissue rapidly turns white and goopy!). Then just use a turkey baster to suck out the dead tissue. But many of the Aiptasia in my tank were able to quickly retract into a small crevice or under a rock where I couldn't chase them with the Aiptaser.

So I recommend a combination of the Aiptaser and good old fashioned kalkwasser paste (aka Mrs. Wages Pickling lime, aka calcium hydroxide... available at Kroger's). I've found KW paste to be just as effective as Joe's Juice or Aiptasia X. I'm not convinced of rumored added miracle ingredients of these commercial products (I've heard that they might contain chemical attractants to encourage the critter to eat the paste, or sponge spicules that do internal damage.... I don't buy snake oil or homeopathic remedies either!). As for claims that Aiptasia eat Joe's Juice, etc... that's bunk. What you see when you squirt this stuff on is a thigmotaxic response (response to touch) consisting of a rapid withdrawal. If you've squirt the paste onto the oral disc than it has the same appearance as if the animal were eating, but it's simply an escape response. Don't forget to turn off the water circulation for 15 - 30 minutes so you don't flush the paste off the critter.

So good luck with your war on Aiptasia or Majano anemones. My main advice is whatever you use to combat the critters, you've got to do regular and frequenct checks for reappearance of the Aiptasia. After your first treatment, I'd recommend checking the tank at least every other day for at least two weeks and re-treating when you see new critters (or ones you missed the first time). Then you can probably reduce the inspections to once a week. But don't let the tank go uninspected for more than a month. Best time to inspect? Late at night with a flashlight... the critters will be fully extended, and using the flashlight is an effective way to spot check the entire tank.

Here's a link to a video posted by someone else showing the phenomenon of Aiptasing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJVlJNv1d68

Best fishes!
Neuro

And no Marty, it ain't Voodoo. It's Science!

Last edited:
Jay: How well would your zapper do on corals? I removed a pom-pom from a rock a few months ago and have a few that keep sprouting up each week......I have a few others that I keep in check that might be easier with a zapper....

Oh my, you are killing off your softie collection? What is this world coming to?

Haha

No quite yet my stickman friend......just wanting to zap a few high end zoas to keep them off my precious xenia and kenya trees......:spin2:

Okay, I know I won't be DIY anything electric....so how much for a neursicer-wand?? I can get a Jason to break off a twig of something in the SPS family for barter....

Very nice write up Jay, Now we just need for you to make all of us one of those probes.

That looks like something I would get a kick out of using!!!

Construction is very very simple... just connect the power supply to the switch, and the switch to the two electrodes. Plus goes to the graphite stick, negative to the stainless steel wire. It wouldn't be right for me to make and sell them seeing as they are not my invention, the patent is pending, and they are for sale by the inventor.

Next time we have a meeting at someone's house who has aiptasia or majano, I'll certainly be happy to demo it!

- It wouldn't be right for me to make and sell them seeing as they are not my invention, the patent is pending, and they are for sale by the inventor.

Just make them and give them to us all for free. Problem solved. :)

Actually, maybe it would be a good idea to have one for the club that people could borrow as needed.

I think that would be a great idea, you could send everyone a "list of materials and where to buy them and then you could "demontrate how to make one" and do a test run on one. Sounds great to me!!

Recipes for DIY chemical additives and pest control, advice on lowering your nitrates and phosphates and turf scrubber maintenance.... and now step by step instructions on making an Aiptazer..... I feel like the Martha Stewart of WTMRAC!

Construction is very very simple... just connect the power supply to the switch, and the switch to the two electrodes. Plus goes to the graphite stick, negative to the stainless steel wire. It wouldn't be right for me to make and sell them seeing as they are not my invention, the patent is pending, and they are for sale by the inventor.

Next time we have a meeting at someone's house who has aiptasia or majano, I'll certainly be happy to demo it!

Hi Bud!

I was reading ur post since I have nuisance aiptasia , majanos,brown palys that are spreading too...even mushrooms.

Since its been a few weeks how is ur diy probe doing ? Any issues? Since its so simple I might do this. There is no way things will go wrong and endanger the reefer since its 12v dc and 1Amp current.

My question is : What will happen if the 2 probes touch or short under sw?
Will it spark , burn and pollute dt? My guess is there will be a huge increase in Amps(current) , wonder if it will hurt the fish or user? lol

Does the stainless steel wire need to be longer than anode(graphite)?

Pls advice ! :D
Kris

The DIY Aiptaser works great, although there are times when the critter is in a position where it can rapidly withdraw into a nook or cranny of a rock and I just can't get to it with the Aiptaser. In those cases I still have to resort to a squirt of kalkwasser paste (Mrs. Wages pickling lime).

The key thing is to keep up with the battle and it will get easier and easier.

The two electrodes are rigid enough (and I've got them cemented into position with the silicone caulk) that there is not much chance of them touching. If they were to touch they wouldn't draw more current than the capacity of the power supply. Some people even wire the graphite anode far away from the stainless steel cathode, but that makes it pretty awkward when you've already got one hand on the on/off button and one hand holding the wand.

good luck with it.

Neuro,
How did u attach the wires to the graphite and stainless steel? You can't solder them right, would it stick.wonder if I can use screws....

I initially thought the probes were same length as pvc, but now I think they don't have to be.
Whats the length u used?

thx

Last edited:
That power supply should do fine. Solder did stick to the stainless, but i just did a tight wire wrap and black tape around the graphite stick. Both were about 4 inches.

Back