They're like spaghetti, thanks PaulB (black worms)

I noticed on the website of the guy that sells these it mentions there may be Flatworms mixed in with the blackworms at certain times of the year. I am assuming these are freshwater Flatworms that will not hurt anything in my tank correct?

Lumbriculus variegatus (species name)

I don't think they were flatworms. The three batches I've bought have all had what look like harmless leeches in them. When they die, they turn white, and you can just grab'em outta the water.

How do y'all rinse them? I tried rinsing them with water, but the water created a foam and I lost quite a few blackworms that way. Then I tried to rinse them with the waste water from my RO/DI unit, but it took way too long for a pound to get clean (4+hours)....

Yes, Flathead Valley up in Northwest MT. Not too much in the way of LFS here, just one that is hit or miss on saltwater stuff. I enjoy stopping at stores around the country when I travel for work. The best is when I was down in FL and surprisingly, ME. Nice little coral shop down the street from our Fairfield office.

Your in my favorite state and my favorite area. I have some friends in Big Fork who have a home on a slough off of Flat Head Lake. I went to boarding school in Thompson Falls back in '84. I try to get back up that way whenever I can. I'm trying to buy property out there as I want to move there at some point in the not so distant future. Been looking everywhere from Flathead Valley to Thompson Falls. There is nothing like Western Montana! Where in FH Valley are you?

The fish eat the leaches as fast as the worms, they also die as fast as the worms in salt water

... There is nothing like Western Montana! Where in FH Valley are you?

I agree! Grew up in NJ, have a sister in Manhattan and the rest of the family is still in NJ. I originally came out to MT for college and had the opportunity to return about 8 years ago and swear I'm never leaving again. I bounce back and forth between Whitefish and Columbia Falls, currently in CFalls.

I used to cultivate black worms years ago. they took forever to reproduce so I stopped. too time consuming. Paul, I'm wondering if you also experience slow reproduction rates? curious as to what your vision of a 'perfect' breeding set up would be. I'm kicking around the idea of starting up again.

I don't breed blackworms as I live in NY and they are very common so I just buy them every couple of weeks by the ounce. They do reproduce, but much to slow.

Going on about 5 1/2 weeks now and the black worms are still going strong. I have a few days supply left which works out well. I should use them up this week and will then be out of town for 10 days, during which time the care taker will feed the tank once or twice using NLS pellets. Once I return, I'll be placing another order for another quarter pound of black worms. I'm very pleased with how they worked out.

Thanks,
Joe

Back