Thin concrete floor, Pour pad?

Pouring is a waste of money. Plus your going to be kicking this awkward step in front of the tank every time you walk up to it.

I'm sorry it's hard to understand which way your suggesting I go reading your posts. This tank will have large post feet. Honestly I was thinking of using 4x4 or 6x6 wood to make a square frame to lay on floor then attach at least 6 posts on top of that and then the actual top assembly. This should distribute the weight of the tank over the entire footprint of the tank.

I think this would work too, but I would do it like you build a floor. So a square frame with joists that go across and plywood on top. I think 6x6's would be overkill, I would do 2x4's laid sideways with the outer square doubled up, much cheaper. You could have it stick out enough so there is like a step there to look into the tank, or find a way to go a little smaller like how cabinets go in at the bottom. It's hard to picture the stand, are you building it?

I will be building it. Other than my thought I threw in here discussing the floor I haven't planned it much yet. So it seems like everyone is saying if I'm not gonna dig then just beef up the stand to spread the weight out evenly???

I understand what your saying about the 2x6 base but then you lost me from there

Basically what salty drip said about stubbing your toe. If it sticks out more the base it should stick out enough to be clearly a step, another choice would be to have it a bit smaller like how kitchen cabinets are but you will need to distribute the load properly.

Oh ok the stub wouldn't be an issue cause I want a work platform anyway to get me higher to service the tank

Here is all you need in my opinion. All the expertise I can claim is a 2 semester physics class in college, but this is not very complex. Points of contact are what you need to worry about, therefore do not have any legs touching that concrete. Simply buy a solid core door and lay it down where the tank goes. Stain it to match your stand. Place your stand on top of it. That is all you will need. It is cheap and easy and spreads the weight evenly over the area. It also can stick out a few inches depending on the size of door.

There seems to be several opinions here. So here is what I'm thinking and everyone can chime in. I'm thinking of leaving the existing floor alone. Adding self leveling concrete to smooth the old floor out and building a stand that will help distribute the weight without pressure points. Was considering a stand similar to this one I found. Note it's upside down. It's got many legs that have the wood plate under to even more spread it out. May even do another wall of legs in the middle since my tank will be deep.
Zw44Wfy.jpg

Looks good to me. Not sure how your sump will work in there but that would certainly spread out load.

I would try building an I-beam upper and lower framework. Then all you would need is traditional corner and center suports. The weight will be caried across the beams making the parameter of the top and base.

If you do not need a sump, I would bet money that that design is even way more than needed. It looks great and there is no way it will punch through the floor. Simple and strong as can be. Go for it!

Back