Thinking about a VorTech MP10...

OUPike1833

I dose OxiClean!
I know that the MP10 is pretty new, but is anyone running one on a tank around 30 gallons? I am in need of increasing the flow since I am getting into LPS and some SPS corals now and the current setup won't support the SPS for sure.

Also, if people here like the Tunze products over the EcoTech stuff, please add your input as well.

Triggerhappydude

Triggerhappydude

Triggerhappydude runs a 10 or a 20 in his Solana 34G, I believe. If he doesn't check in here, you can find him (and others) running the Vortechs on the Solana Owners Thread in the Nano Tanks Forum.

LL

I used to own a 28 gallon bowfront also. I had an MP20 on it and I loved it. I did not run it full power, this was before the MP10. I think it or the MP20 will be a very good choice for you. I now have 4 MP40s that I run on my 120 reef.

For me the Tunzes flow is too direct. They are also a great choice in powerheads but I think you will prefer the EcoTech solution. Not to mention their sponsor thread is very active and you are likely to get quick responses to any inquires there.

Sadly, I have had two run-ins with their customer service. Both times the problem was taken care of immediately. (On one occasion I even got a brand new pump.) I say "sadly" because for such an expensive powerhead I should not have had any problems so soon. From my understanding though, I am the exception.

There are also a lot of people who complain about the noise. I can hear my MP40s, but never did my MP20 bother me. I would imagine that the MP10 is even less probable of making noise.

Good luck in your selection and do let us know you final decision( and maybe post a picture if possible).

Thanks for the input Brandon. One concern about the Vortech pumps is that I have heard that noise can be in issue. But with hearing from you that the MP20 was pretty quiet, I am more comfortable with the idea of picking up an MP10.

BTW, you a student at OU?

Actually, I was just reading that thread. It sounds like it should be quiet enough for my application.

I finish up here at OU in a couple weeks...it went really fast.

I have an MP10. I put in on a 20L last night and didn't think it was very loud at all....And it's supposed to get quieter in time...I'm ultimately putting it on my 40B, but I haven't gotten that up and running yet...

- Chris

If it is quiet enough for a living room environment, then it should work for me just fine. I have heard it is all in the fine tune adjustment of lining up the motor correctly to get the most noise reduction.

What setting are you currently running it on?

Right now it's on crest mode probably at 30%. I can't hear the motor over anything else in the room. But I haven't had a chance to really mess with the settings yet. Hopefully I'll have time to tonight.

Back