Thinking about returning to the hobby- need tank advice

poppin_fresh

Hi all,
I need advice please! I sold off my 180g and all my supplies about 6 years ago. I had been in the hobby for about 5 years, although never got the tank to the level I wanted to get to and it was time to move on.

I've now got an itch to return, but on a MUCH smaller scale. I'm thinking a nano is in my future, but which one? I had a 14g Biocube, but HATED the distortion from the rounded corners, so those are out.

I would really like an all-in-one for simplicity, preferably one with a decent LED that would be ok for a simple little mixed reef. Ohh, and I would like it to be reasonably priced as spending a ton of $$ is out...been there, done that. :)

thanks,
Jon

all in one systems are not the way to go. if you did though i would get the innovative marive 25 lagoon. nano tanks with a sump are the way to go in my opinion. check out the doogans shallow reef on RC you do something like than but simplify it. i just think that all in ones are a pain when detris builds up in the back, i currently have a nuvo fusion ten running for the last 6 months during transition while im building my shallow reef and i really dont like it, sorry to be negative but theyre crap. :D

I have a a IM Fusion 40 gallon and I love it. I have had many tanks over the 52 years of fish keeping 35 years in saltwater. I have room in the back for all the necessary equipment. There is a good thread on RC of Fusion 40 owners. Read it and good luck

I think AIO's are a good way to go. You can always siphon out detris during regular water changes. Simplicity is deffinitely a plus with these systems. No plumbing needed unless you want to do a few mods which is optional. I would recommend a more rectangular tank versus square. Easier to rockscape with more options imo. The diemensions of the Im fusion 20l looks nice. I just purchased the nuvo fusion 30l, although its a bit narrow i dig the length. Lots of options for aio tanks!

How hard is it to clean out detritus in an AIO? Lol..just use filter floss and do efficient water changes while siphoning both area of the tank.

Anything in the Fusion Line is top of the line, but can get pricey.

If on a budget I'd grab a $40 40 breeder right now at petco and drill it. Build a stand, build a sump, find a used light locally on this marketplace.

If you are going sub 20 or even 30gal, I would agree with AIO. Anything larger and things can get tricky depending on what you are trying to keep.

Are you still in VT? I am curious how the reefkeeping scene and LFS are

Back