Thinking about switching to T5's

Highweigh

Currently my tank is cycling (40b) and I was planning on going heavy on the SPS and LPS but since then I have seen some beautiful soft coral tanks and it has swayed my choice to go mostly softies.

My current light is a Mars Aqua 300w LED fixture that produces a TERRIBLE disco ball effect.

I'm thinking about switching over to T5's and I was found this deal on Ebay that seems unbeatable for what you get, 6 bulb, built in timers, moonlight LED's... http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Timer-36-234W-6x39W-Fluorescent-Actinic-T5-HO-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-Marine-/351197728613?hash=item51c5040f65:g:Lv4AAMXQyY1TRnBE

I wanted to know what you guys thought of this and if it would be suitable for a soft coral tank, I'm thinking Cauliflowers, Toadstools, Leathers, Sinularias, ect.

Basically, you get what you pay for. It's likely made from fairly cheap parts and will likely have issues at some point in time. If there aren't individual reflectors, it's a waste of money. It will work, just be prepared for problems.

Find a deal on a used non-dimmable sunpower. I picked mine up in excellent condition for 180 w bulbs..The older units are really solid..

what that cheap t5 fixture is probably lacking would be quality reflectors and likely a cheap non-user friendly timer.
i personally always shoot to only buy what i want to end up with. there should have been a lesson learned with those cheap mars leds that you're looking to part with.

For softies it wouldn't be a problem in my opinion. And it's weird to me I had the 300w mars aqua and I didn't experience a disco ball effect in my tank but it could be I didn't see what I didn't want to see.

Couldn't individual reflectors be added later?

Guys, he clearly has a budget, your recommending a $500 light fixture when he is looking at $150 range.

That light will work fine for a softy tank. Yes there is better stuff out there but you will be able to grow what your looking to do fine with that light. If you can afford better than do it but if not this will be fine. I also know what it is like to reef on a budget...

Thanks for all the input fellas.

I'm gonna avoid the cheapo light I posted and wait till I can find a quality light on craigslist for a fraction of the price new.

The one I have will do for now until I can find said light.

Thanks again all

The worst hobby decision I ever made was getting rid of t5ho. The best decision was returning to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back