Thinking of adding sand to my BB sps tank

Yep, as Jordan said, Just pour it in. Sometimes I have heard of putting it in a net and letting it settle on the bottom that way.

I finally remember the name. It was the caribsea "Grand Bahama" mix that is probably my favorite, since I don't like completely uniform grains or too many chunky pieces, I found this stuff to be just on the money for my taste.

I don't think it is sold as 'live' though... maybe.

I used the sand-type [not that brand, but ...] I think it was 0.5 to 1mm in size. Fairly fine-grained - which for a sleeping wrasse IMO is likely less scratchy than the big stuff [in my attempt at understanding the life of a wrasse]

i just added a super shallow sand bed (sssb). 1cm deep.

how does it look? incredible...cant believe ive been fooling myself all this time.

I just recived the oean direct sand yesterday. I am soaking it in RO for 2 weeks before adding it to my tank. When I was sifting throuh it I found rocks large shells and even a chunk of wood. I am glad I looked.

i think youll be pleasantly surprised with the addition of sand.

first thing i noticed was the tank was much brighter from the reflective qualities. second the sand allows a better contrast visibly against the rock and corals. colors and detail pop more.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9887040#post9887040 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Marko9
Paul- welcome back to reefing....
Hey now I still like a BB setup and it worked very well for me I just like to change things around and since I cant fit any more sps this is a way of adding some new things to my tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9887204#post9887204 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by prodman
Hey now I still like a BB setup and it worked very well for me I just like to change things around and since I cant fit any more sps this is a way of adding some new things to my tank.

:D I was wondering if I could get a reaction out of you. How are all of those frags working out for you.

So, Tim and I were talking-- was it the choice of wrasses out there that has you adding the sand back?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9883988#post9883988 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flyingphish
i just added a super shallow sand bed (sssb). 1cm deep.

how does it look? incredible...cant believe ive been fooling myself all this time.

LOL. You cant beat the natural look. Was this sand added to your new Elos system?

no i added it to my current 22g setup, the one with the suncolor evo hanging over it. wanted to see if i liked sand before setting up the system 70...and i do like it. thanks for the input invy.

barebottom is so, yesterday...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9887315#post9887315 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Marko9
:D I was wondering if I could get a reaction out of you. How are all of those frags working out for you.

So, Tim and I were talking-- was it the choice of wrasses out there that has you adding the sand back?

I just wanted to clarify for the BB critics that BB worked well for me. A leopard wrasse was one reason for switching but really its a step towards a more mixed reef. I have all the sps I an handle and I like the way chalices and micros look on the sand better than the glass. I also would like to get an anemone of some kind either a h.crispa or m.doreensis which need the sand as well.

prod...you and me, same page...mixed reef, micros, chalice...i just got bored of the same sps look, variety is the spice of life. plus im looking forward to the new challenges of mixed reefing. easy to dial in sps with barebottom, big skimmer, and flow. this mixed thing should be interesting.

leopard wrasse? indeed.

lunch napa airport?

im at palo alto airport. napa is 20 minutes by air. pick up some of the sactown boys on the way up...that would be crazy though.

Back