thinking of changing

jsteele

I am thinking of changing from mh to t5. I am tired of putting frozen water bottles in my sump to cool the tank. So I am in the market for a 48" t5 setup. if anyone has one for sale please drop me a pm. Thanks

Have you tried a fan blowing across the water via sump or over the top of the display water? Alot of times this will be a more efficient cooling method than ice.

I have one fan blowing in and one blowing out in the canopy. I tried it with the front door open and closed. Also have a box fan in front of the stand on high with the stand doors opened and ac on.

I'm pretty new to all of this but isn't what a chiller is for? Seems like a lot of power consumption if you could get the same results with t5 or led and not need a chiller.

Look into an led set up or DIY. Lot of great info here on how to do it. Save $ on electricity and replacing the bulbs. They are really easy to build if you get a kit from one of the vendors like rapidled. They even have solder less set ups now. I just built one last night really simple. Although mine is only over a 20 gallon high.

T5's are excellent. I really think they are the way to go however LED will soon be a hands down leader once it's all figured out. Enough DIY-ers will start making them and you'll find reliable setups produced at good prices.

I have two Nova 6x T5s i am planning to bring to the swap. $125 each with bulbs, need to see how old they are.

After trying and seeing how corals react (minus sps) to both LEDs and T5s, I can safely say that you won't be disappointed with T5s (as long as you don't buy crappy bulbs)

Back