thinking of starting a reef tank

fishloyal

Hi everyone, im new to the forum and hope to get some great advise. Love fish, have had many different freshwater tanks but never a saltwater tank. looking at a 65G reef ready with eshoops 100 sump a cone skimmer any advise out there?

looking at a 65G reef ready

Sounds good - predrilled tanks are the way to go.

with eshoops 100 sump a cone skimmer any advise out there?

I'm unfamiliar with the line of sumps. A lot of people will suggest a DIY sump, but thats really up to you.

Aside from the usual in-tank/sump equipment list, don't forget to work on the logistics for water changes - you will need to be premixing and heating salt water before doing a water change, and can't just use the tap adapters.

Read research. Take a stack of $100 bills. Set them on fire. Painful to watch? If no continue with reef tank.

Really. I had a salt tank before then had a 40 gal with just fish, crabs etc. after a year I think I have the chemistry down, know how to change water, and have a good support system for all the other stuff ( filtered water, mixing tanks, holing tanks, QT, etc etc.

I just built my "real" tank after two years of a temp tank. And I'm still figuring out fine points.

I've been project and end-goal driven my whole life. This hobby ain't compatible with that outlook. It's a process. No project is done. Always sumpin.

reef tanks are great, and are very addicting. They do get alot more expencive than anticipated though because every time you go to the fish store to get something, you walk by the coral and see just the perfect frag for that empty spot you niticed in your tank, and as luck would have it, it's on sale for just $20. so obviously you get it, and perhaps a few more snails to help with clean up, since they are only a buck or 2 each. you got what you came for, a new coral frag, some snails, and on your way to the check out counter you see a sale on fish food, and you're gonna need some kinda soon anyways, so you grab that too. before you know it you just spent over $100 when you intended to spend maybe 1/5 of that. Every frag i get and snail is cheap for how much I'll enjoy it, but add everything together over time, and it's not so cheap anymore. Of course I love it and wouldn't be without a reef tank now. It can be very rough on the wallet if you aren't prepaired for it though.

A far as the tank set up you picked, it sounds good to me. you'll always want a bigger tank, so after you get yours pretty full of fish and/or coral you're gonna have the urge to upgrade. Doesn't matter if you start with a 20 gallon you'll want to upgrade to a 40, or from a 40 to a 75, or from a 75 to a 120...etc. My corals are all still frags, and I'm already thinking about my next tank. I'm gonna try to skip the in between tanks and go straight for a 200+ gallon.

Ohh yeah, and if you're looking into starting a reef tank, seriously look through craigslist in your area for tank set ups. the price drop on a used tank vs new is astronomical. For what I spent new on my 40 gallon i could have gotten a used 120 in good working condition. Just my 2 cents.

Also, RODI water! get a filter as using tap water is likely the number one cause of problems from new reefers. well worth the upfront costs to save money on solutions to those problems in the future.

Back