this an anemone???

alvarez

I have seen something deep on the rock but recently this guy has surfaced and looks like an anemone to me. It would've came in on the live rock I got when I set up the tank.

Should I get this out of there because of my false percula, firefish, or yellow tang? I have heard anemone can eat fish... I have also heard they are hard to keep but this guy seems to have gotten huge in no time.

anemone.jpg

I just did a quick search and there are tons of threads on killing it and calling it a pest... It isn't ugly by any means... does it pose a threat to my fish?

Plus most pictures made it look like a flower and has no legs in the center just legs on the outside... this has tentacles everywhere not just the outer rim.

So far, I've only had one. I used an insulin syringe and thickened kalkwasser. Haven't seen another since. Good hunting!

Peace

Kevin

Yes, it is a threat to your tank. It can become the dominant life form on your reef if left untreated. If you want any variety of corals, you don't want these things. As for the tentacles, it may be that the foot is well within the rock, so you can't see it. Mine tried to retract into the rock, but I had already started the kalkwasser injection.

You'd do well to kill it quickly and not allow it a chance to reproduce. One limited case where practicing eugenics is a good thing.

Peace

Kevin

Can it be grabbed out with tongs or something? It is up enough I might be able to grab it.

or do I have to get some type of chemical... I have read sites about some people using soldering irons, (physically removing) them, and Chemicals.

dont tear it out or you will have 1000 littles one quickly take its place. It is the "cut the head off a snake and 1000 pur out" type of create. pulling them or tearing them out is only going to cause more problems. Might I suggets getting a peppermint shrimp or 2. while some people have mixed results, I had wonderful success. Plus the shrimp are a natural solution and worth trying before chemical methods and the shrimp are fun to watch. you need to make sure that you get caribbean shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni), indopacific shrimp wont eat them. goodluck

If you only have one the eisiest way would be to squirt it with boiling water. I had a bunch of them in my tank, I threw in a few peppermint shrimp and they wiped out the aiptasia in a couple weeks.

Local pet store said they don't have syringe's but they have the kalkwasser he didn't think it would kill it though. He said it was used for keeping down purple algae...

Thats most definitely is aiptasia. It is a nuisance anemone and they spread quickly. They can sing other corals in your tank. You should get rid of them quickly so that they don’t over run your tank. You can use Joe’s Juice as PatMayo has said. I don’t like using chemicals in my tank to rid pests. I would rather do it the natural way. I suggest you get a couple of peppermint shrimp they will eat the aiptasia.

JKC-PeppermintShrimp-MichelleWisniewski.jpg

Last edited:
SCORE! I have been considering adding a pepp shrimp already! I think 2 and for a good reason I could easily pass by the wifey!

"they are needed to save the tank" here lemme give you an exerpt of one persons post on reef central" hehehehhe

The pepp shrimp and my hermit crabs, snails, yellow tang, firefish, and false percs will most likely exist peacefully right?

Pep shrimps will not harm any of your other reef inhabitants. They are perfectly safe. Now some bigger crabs or fish may try to eat them but they tend to escape into the rocks and avoid being fish food. They may snack on a dead or wonded snail given the chance. But everything in your tank will do that as well. I have 5 of them running around in my tank.

*Also if you see any of these lil buggers

xha40711.jpg

Get a banded shrimp. They are also reef safe and will rip um right out of the rocks and snack on em..

Coral%20Banded%20Shrimp.jpg

I was told bristleworms are great for your tank and keep the corals strong.... I saw some when I was first getting the tank going but they dug into the sand I believe.

Back