This is a zoo right? PIC

kstuart

My hitchhiker is a zoo right? its got pink tips na orange patern in the center, looks good with actinics on. Its sprouting a new one i think out of the lower right, how long do you think till its big and grown?

zoo.jpg

Looks like Polythoa sp. and about its adult size. In some systems might multiply prolifically and become a nuisance. Handle with care (wear surgical gloves) - this specie produce some very potent neurotoxin.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6745812#post6745812 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by argo
Looks like Polythoa sp. and about its adult size. In some systems might multiply prolifically and become a nuisance. Handle with care (wear surgical gloves) - this specie produce some very potent neurotoxin.

I agree that it looks more like Palythoa than Zoanthid. While I agree with wearing gloves when working with any Zoas/Paly's... It's actually very few species that produce enough palytoxin to do anything, and would be impossible to tell just by a picture. But better safe than sorry.

Palythoas and Zoanthids are very similar. Palythoa typically get larger in size than zoanthids, and most of them will eat small particles of food, where most zoas will not.

There are some difference in the encrusting mat too.... Can't really recall wich way that went though so hopefully someone can chime in. If not I will find that info and post it later....

I thought:

Protopalys split off into like single buds/eventually without a shared mat.

Palys have a shared encrusting mat like zoa's only the polyps are bigger, and the skirts more "stringy"................

Course I could be totally wrong, and CoralNutz, that info would be great to have regardless if you can scrounge it up :)

Brianna:rollface:

I'll take a look tonight for it. I think I have it bookmarked at home. It was pretty interesting...

Anyone else but me notice that in all the coral books out there, they don't even talk about zoas/paly's.

I was reading through a friends Veron: Corals of the world book. This book was supposed to be the best thing since the protien skimmer and it didn't even have a section for zoas... It did have other softies I think, just not zoas/palys...

I think someone needs to make a book about zoas. Like a detailed reference guide with lots of technical info....

Back