this may be a dumb question

deep6er

Ok I’m not a scientist nor a chemist, but I don’t this is good.

A friend of mine had this tank installed by some maintenance company and they recessed the overflow into the wall.

Now due to moisture and saltwater being splashed up the drywall is falling apart and falling into the tank.

He always complains to me that his fish never live could the drywall be the cause? any thoughts
Westvancouvertank.jpg

I did think about that and the only way to do that is to remove the tank or cut a section of drywall out

I'm sure the drywall does not help, and doing something like posted above will take care of that. A bigger issue, IMO, is the height of the tank compared to the width. It appears in the attached phot that the tank is only about 6" wide and at least 3' tall. This equals no usable surface area at all, and absolutely horrible conditions for the fish in the tank. Tall and skinny might work for a FW tank, but is less than suboptimal for SW JMO

there also appears to be no live rock in that tank......maintenance companies are are notorious for putting in systems that require allot of maintenance.

Last month he changed to freshwater and still all the fish he added died. He asked me what he was doing wrong but from waht I can see nothing. ecept for the drywall

has the water been tested? Did he cycle when he switched to FW? An uncycled tank with very little surface area would kill fish pretty quick I'd think. Gypsum from the drywall might be driving the pH way out of whack.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14176857#post14176857 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dbrann11
has the water been tested? Did he cycle when he switched to FW? An uncycled tank with very little surface area would kill fish pretty quick I'd think. Gypsum from the drywall might be driving the pH way out of whack.
I guess I should mention that there is a 25g sump behind that wall.

once changing to fw he did test the water every 2 days. 2 weeks after staring the fw tank he added fish. Please keep in mind that when the tank was SW fish would not last more than 2 weeks. and all the parameters were fine throughout the tanks SW days.

Im thinking its the drywall dust and dust particles from the atic

Back