This might be a dumb question

Bobby S.

But I have to ask. When I buy or acquire a frag on a plug, how do you get the specimen off of the plug? What is suppose to happen??? I am fairly new at this and not sure what to do..

Well does it live on the plug for the rest of its life. or will it spread out onto the rocks that it is on. I have some soft corals (polyp type and it is not secure to anything other than sitting on a rock, but if a snail comes by and knocks it off, then it could go between rocks and die due to light starvation. At least that is what I am thinking will happen.

If they are not over grown onto the plug you can use somthing like bone cutters to pop it off the plug. If it is over grown you can epoxy the blug into place and let the coral over grow the plug and on to the rock.

Like B-Willz said you can cut it off. I have used a dremel to cut the plug down to a size that would work for me. I have plenty that are still on the plug.

so just glue the plug to the rock to keep it secure, and if it is small enough just cut it and reglue??? is there a chance of killing it, or is it better to leave it on the plug.

I pop the frag off the plug using a screwdriver or a razorknife. I dont like the look of plugs in my main display tank. If the frag encrusted onto the plug, I just put the remaining coral covered plug back on my frag rack and grow a new one.

I agree with jeff my display has a frag rack but in the rock work there is no plugs if i want one that is encrusted on then i cut the tip off the plug and epoxy it on my rock

I pop the frag off the plug using a screwdriver or a razorknife. I dont like the look of plugs in my main display tank. If the frag encrusted onto the plug, I just put the remaining coral covered plug back on my frag rack and grow a new one.

that is exactly what I do

Back