This might be a stupid question: How important is a fan on a 216w fixture???

steri

I'm looking into buying a new 4 bulb T5HO fixture (48 inches 216w). How important is it that I have a fan with that fixture either included inside the fixture or whatever? I have two two-buld fixtures now (T5 HO). Neither has a fan and both have done fine for well over a year, but I just thought I would ask opinions before buying a fixture.

The fixture is not going into a canopy. It is sitting above the tank.

Thanks,

Steve

if it is not enclosed i dont see a need for a fan. fans , imo are necessary to reduce the build up of heat. i have an open top and have no heat issues involving my lighting. mh would be an exception.

I do not run fans on my T-5's. My lights are a retrofit into a wood canopy. I do not overdrive my bulbs. If you overdrive them then I think you would need fans

Even though you may not have issues with heat, fans greatly increase the efficiency of T5 bulbs. When you put a fan blowing across the cooling the bulb itself. Since the bulb is cooler, it's able to convert more of its energy into light (the way I understand it)

i had 536w of T5s with no fan. did not have a heat issue in the tank or the hood enclosure. the back was open though. i did have the ballasts mounted on top of the hood. i think if there is one thing id like to prolong the life of its the ballast. half the bulbs were overdriven also on icecap ballast. changed out bulbs every year and a half with no compromise to color and growth. had about 80% sps.

sweet, thanks for the info. I think I will try without a fan first. I hate the noise they make. If I am finding there are heat issues, I will figure out a place to put a fan.

Back