Thoughts and pics of tanks with T-5s

jennmac415

premium member "reefmama"
Premium Member
I currently have a 29 gallon with 175 14,000K halide and a nova retrofit actinic T-5 set up., it s doing very well, the GBTA has quadrupled in size since I bought it last winter.lots of growth on my LPS and softies... and I just bought a few SPS so it is too soon to see any growth on them. ... later on this summer after we get moved into the house we are building I am setting up a RR 180 gallon. I am very interested in hearing from those of you that are running T-5s on your tanks as well as seeing pics of those tanks. I would like to know how well or bad your tank is doing with them. I am interested in them because i don't want to buy a chiller and do not want to worry about heat issues on the new tank. I have heard that tanks can be very sucessful with them and I just want to know if this is true.

Thanks for all your help!

Jenni

WOW!!! that has to be the prettiest colored tank I have seen in a long time...

so if I do this... would 8 X 80 watts T5 plus 260 watts of PC actinic for a total of 900 watss be too much or ok for the 180 gallon. or would i even need the 260 watts of PC????

Oh, I would do the T5s all daylight and then have the PCs for actinic... or if that was too much I would divide the 8 80 watt bulbs daylight and actinic...

jennmac415...

Check out my web site: http://www.danj.com/reef

It's a 180... I currently run 7 x 80W (overdriven T5) and and use a VHO actinic.

Bulbs currently are 1 daylight, 3 11Ks, and 3 50/50s... I don't think you will like the color with the all daylights.

Dave

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7546635#post7546635 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dhoch
jennmac415...

Check out my web site: http://www.danj.com/reef

It's a 180... I currently run 7 x 80W (overdriven T5) and and use a VHO actinic.

Bulbs currently are 1 daylight, 3 11Ks, and 3 50/50s... I don't think you will like the color with the all daylights.

Dave

Nice tank!

Dave,

thanks for the info... GREAT tank and I do love the color of it....can you tell me what T-5 set up you have and where you got it...

Thanks!

I did a retro fit....

Got all the supplies at reefgeek.com

I had the ballasts from a prior VHO setup.

Dave

BUMP..... anyone else have pics of their tank under T-5s??? Do you like them or not? can they be as effective as halides?

thanks,

Back