Thoughts on Bio-Reactor from Bashsea?

A little different than bio pellets. The Bashsea reactor uses small plastic media for housing bacteria, similar to using bio balls in a drip tray. (Not a carbon food source for bacteria like bio pellets are.) The Bashsea would have a similar effect to bio balls for ammonia/nitrite breakdown, but there's too much flow/oxygen for it to be effective against Nitrate, IMO.

Bio pellets work good for Nitrate, but once that level is low, they don't do a lot for phosphate. I've been using Ecobak plus pellets for a few years now and overall they have worked quite well. I started getting some hair algae too and ended up adding a small gfo reactor in addition to deal with the algae/phosphate. Now everything is on the up and up and pretty much no algae at all (Nitrate also stays consistently around 1-2.) A few keys to using biopellets are an appropriate reactor (The accel aquatics one on marine depot is excellent), having a strong skimmer near the reactor output, and only starting with about half the recommended dose for your size tank and then gradually working up. As far as what pellets to use, both Ecobak and Ecobak are excellent, IMO. Anyway, hope that helps.

I plan on using EcoBak Plus. How often do u refill/add more bio pellets? My skimmer is kinda oversize for the tank so it will do well :D

They don't deplete very quickly unless you have a pretty hefty bio load. I'd say on average every 3 months I just top mine off (The accel aquatics reactor even has a plug on top to add pellets w/o taking the whole top off.) I have to occasionally take the reactor out to clean out some residual gunk near the top, but overall it's pretty low maintenance.

They don't deplete very quickly unless you have a pretty hefty bio load. I'd say on average every 3 months I just top mine off (The accel aquatics reactor even has a plug on top to add pellets w/o taking the whole top off.) I have to occasionally take the reactor out to clean out some residual gunk near the top, but overall it's pretty low maintenance.

How much do u add? Curious as I dont want to over add. I have an Avast Marine MR10 reactor I am going to use.

I love my biopellets. them and an oversized skimmer have been doing wonders in my system.

My skimmer is pretty healthy for my system. I'm tired of gha and ready for a change.

Those reactors look useless imho, maybe for a heavily stocked FOWLR, But I'd never bother on a reef tank.

Running a Avast recirculating biopellet reactor plumbed directly into my Skimmer feed pump. Very effective setup

I think most recommend staring with 1/4 the recommend amount for ur tank volume. Add 1/4 weekly until u reach the full amount, then just wait for ur nitrate to go down. For my 60g cube I started with 1/2 amount and it took about 1.5 month for my nitrate to go down to 2ppm. I find that biopellets help little with phosphate. I use GFO to get that down and my tank never looked better. Remember don't run ur reactor too fast that would deplete ur pellets. My Skimz reactor has a dc pump that i can run at a very slow rate. Just need to have the pellets moving. And don't forget to dose some bacteria.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those reactors look useless imho, maybe for a heavily stocked FOWLR, But I'd never bother on a reef tank.

Running a Avast recirculating biopellet reactor plumbed directly into my Skimmer feed pump. Very effective setup

good point friend is using it on a breeding setup (20-30 tanks). Do you have any pics of ur setup? I just ordered Avast MR10 and will be feeding it with a Jebao DC2000 pump.

I think most recommend staring with 1/4 the recommend amount for ur tank volume. Add 1/4 weekly until u reach the full amount, then just wait for ur nitrate to go down. For my 60g cube I started with 1/2 amount and it took about 1.5 month for my nitrate to go down to 2ppm. I find that biopellets help little with phosphate. I use GFO to get that down and my tank never looked better. Remember don't run ur reactor too fast that would deplete ur pellets. My Skimz reactor has a dc pump that i can run at a very slow rate. Just need to have the pellets moving. And don't forget to dose some bacteria.

I am coming from a Zeovit system. My Nitrate is about 10ppm and phos is about .1 or so. I am planning to slowly ease off Zeovit while i transition to Bio Pellets. I am gonna retest before i start the transition. Depending on the test I might start with 1/4 or 1/2. Thanks for the input. I can't wait to swap over. :smokin:

Well this is a little disappointing. Mine is coming in tomorrow and to hear that it probably isn't going to help with nitrate isnt good. That is the main reason I am installing one. Hope this still isn't the case.

It sure is a beast!

20220521_160424.jpg

Back