thoughts on blue jaw trigger

roc4558

I was thinking about getting 1. They are considered reef safe and CF has one in there display . Any thoughts?

a reef safe trigger ? wow need to check them out

edit.. way to large for me..lol the couple sites I went to said they are not really reef friendly

well one said a preddy reef they are good

Last edited:
my bad

my bad

after re-reading: I misspelled Melichthys

wrong spellings can often result in a failed web search and that's why spellings are sometimes very important ;)

I was actually hoping that you replied Gary i was going to send you a pm just to ask. So you really think so ? If so im going to catch my sexy shrimp and put him in the nano cause thats really the only thing im worried about with the trigger.

Im going to qt with copper for 1 month before he goes in display im not going through that again not taking any chances.

shrimps and small fishes will always remain at risk with any hungry Triggerfish. Remove the shrimps and keep the trigger well fed. If you want to keep shrimps with Triggers the shrimps USUALLY must be in the aquarium FIRST.

Im actually ordering one for my tank from OC... i did all the research and they seem to be a good choice if your looking to add a trigger to your reef.

BJ Triggers are pelagic feeders, and your sexy shrimp will be a fine snack I'm afraid. I had one and it ate an entire gaggle of Chromis (Well as I remember one or two survived because I took her back.) They prefer food in the column but I've heard of plenty of people losing more terrestrial based shrimp to Blue Jaws an Nigers. If you didn't have any really tiny fish that tend to hang out in the open, or any shrimp I'd say this is a fine choice for a reef tank.

I was told larger shrimp should b fine with this trigger. i have a coral banded ,fire shrimp and a few peps all at 1 inch or bigger and stay mostly in the rockwork..

I had one, and he left my 2 cleaner shrimp alone. He even let them clean him. He may have been my all-time favorite fish personality wise

I've heard very conflicting reports about triggers. We had a Niger Trigger where I used to work, and he seemed fine. I LOVED that fish. But, after reading dozens of posts from people that have had issues with them, I have certainly been gun-shy about purchasing one. I'd love a Melichthys or Niger trigger...

My Xanthichthys auromarginatus (blue chin/jaw, ate live shrimp voraciously.Ultimately , I kept it in a fish only tank. Great active fish with lot's of personality. Should be ok if you don't keep ornamental shrimp but a trigger is still a trigger . The xanthichthys varieties (blue chin/jaw, crosshatch, sargassum,etc. are generally less aggressive though.

I'd caution that blue jaws are somewhat fragile. At least for me, they seemed to die mysteriously despite eating well, not being harassed, etc. i know that others here have had better luck though.
I've had a niger for years. No issues with corals or aggression to other fish, but any shrimp or hermits will be eaten.

I've had a niger for 2.5 years and he has been great!! When I introduced him to the tank I had a blood red shrimp in there and he never bothered with it. I tried to add a cleaner and it was killed 2 seconds after entering the water.

It's never really bothered any other fish, although he does like to chase the chromis' around the tank, never killed one though.

And he likes to move things around in the tank, small rocks and shells. I always see him with something in his mouth, which he randomly distributes around the tank.

He's also the only fish I've ever had that lays on his side at the bottom of the tank to sleep when the lights go out. The first time I saw it I thought he was dead. :D

Back