thoughts on mixed reefs

It doesn't matter if you isolate GSP or xenia. It WILL spread to other parts of the tank lol. I don't mind fragging though, some do.

Yeah I have softies in my tank too. Regardless of opinion and personal experiences or if you agree or not softies and hard corals don't like each other. That is a fact not an opinion.

Mixed reef! Breakdown as not to confuse.....as 50% SPS and 50% mushrooms/leathers and palys is a different setup for sure than what i have.....

SPS dominate (55%), LPS (25%), Zoos (10%), shrooms/ricordea (4%), GSP's (3%), Leathers/sinulara (3%) Also have 2 clams in the tank!

No issues whatso ever. I keep the things that spread like GSP and zoo's on their owne islands isolated so I can control the spread!

Run 1.5cup ROX .08 24/7 swapped out evry 4 weeks w/ 10% WC.

I never said they like each other...I said they can be put in the same tank.

Well said. Exactly the point I was trying to make. Chemical warfare does obviously exist and while growth may not be to absolute maximum for either group in a "mixed" system but I would also argue that nearly optimum growth can be achieved, and is often actually done in practice. I would also argue that optimum growth often doesn't even occur in nature for a myriad of reasons.

DSCF0212.jpg

Not to hyjack, but wow, how large is that Capricornis and how long did it take to get that large. it is beautiful.

well i get the point forsure, can be done but just pay attention to what corals your mixing and where your placing them. really fast spreaders arnt the best idea. i was mainly wurried about chemicals building up in the water and killing my sps. nice reef buy the way frank

Carbon can help with toxins being released into the water but unless the coral is unhappy, it shouldnt relase any. Most of the same can come in contact, like zoas can touch zoas and so on. and if it comes down to it, you can always prune sps and frag them out if the come to touch another sps

I currently run carbon but does anyone worry about the reports that carbon creates a higher chance for Hole in head syndrome?

Also, anyone know of a good way to get gsp off a rock that can't be moved out of the aquarium?

Back