thousands of little shrimp like looking things

wicked_NaCl_h2o

I have several critters that I can't figure out what they are.
They look like shrimp..
They don't look like mysis shrimp or brine shrimp. They are fast so I can't get a picture of one.
I know they aren't pods or amphipods.

I went on the hitchhiker web site to see if I can find them there and no luck.

If only I could catch one..I would put it under my stereoscope and record it on my camera and show it to you guys.

I did add some tigerpods but that was a year ago..maybe this is what they look like as adults? Does anyone have a picture of an adult tigerpod?

wicked_NaCl_h2o

Ok, I caught one that was in my refugium. They are all over my refugium, rocks in display, and sand. I am uploading the pictures and video now.

wicked_NaCl_h2o

Well the video isn't that great but here is a picture.

Picture162.jpg

wicked_NaCl_h2o

Does anyone think they might be larvae of my skunk cleaner shrimp?? I noticed these guys every where a few months ago.. I hope one of you guys can tell me what these are. My skunk cleaner shrimp had eggs under them several times. I didn't think any of them survived.:confused: I sold my pair of cleaner shrimp last september. I don't know..let me know what you think:D

Tennyson

Sorry for the hijack, but I have a couple of these in my tank and I'm wondering how big they get?

LeslieH

Premium Member
I suspect it's larval shrimp. see how the large claws are starting to develop? Mysids don't have those.

TWadeJ

I also found these in my aqaurium last night. On the rocks - very fast. Are they problematic to reef tanks or safe?

TWadeJ

Ronald Shimek's article says that mysid shrimp are free floating. These run (not just a crawal) on the rocks. Christina, are yours also primarily on the rocks?

LeslieH

Premium Member
TWadeJ - On the rocks? I doubt you have mysids. They're another type of small crustacean like an amphipod or isopod. For the most part the ones that show up as hitchhikers are harmless or beneficial for tanks. They fill every ecological niche available - grazers, detritivores, filter feeders, herbivores, carnivores, etc.

wicked_NaCl_h2o

sorry, I thought no one was responding to this thread anymore . Yes they are on the rocks, sand and glass..everywhere. I thought maybe you guys were right about them being mysids. These shrimp are getting larger, some are red. Hmm if they are mysids...how did they get in my tank? I haven't bought new liverock in years, and I haven't bought any corals in at least a year.
What ever they are, they are making my refugium more interesting to watch.

One of the shrimp that looks reddish looks like it has a green sack on its belly..eggs or waste? Can't really tell without taking it out of the refugium. I'm afraid I might kill it.

oh wait, :lol:I forgot I bought a bubble tip anemone with the liverock it was attached to. Ok that is probably how they got there..silly me:p

Last edited: