Three day no photo period...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15002681#post15002681 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by THE ROOK
Do you go as far as covering the sides of the tank with cardboard or just lights out?

Nah just lights out.

I have done it to battle hair algae and it worked great for me. I covered the sides with a towel and fed normal (once a day). End of the three days I used just actinic, next day was back to normal. Everything looked great I had no losses.

I've recently had a pretty large cyano breakout, I feed my 2 fish every other day and it's getting out of control, I don't think I overfeed but wouldn't be surprised if I do (this is my first tank!). My question is: to siphon out the cyano before the 3 - 4 days lights out, do you basically just grab a 5gal bucket and start the siphon with a hose of some sort? Or do you use those vacuum looking hoses? Tagging along, this cyano is looking nasty!

OK, day 2 and things look just fine. Just cleaned the skimmer and there is "gunk" like you'd expect.

It's a little unnerving to tell you the truth...no lights; good Lord that's not normal.

But so far so good.

From everything I've read on RC about this procedure it's really very good for the tank environment for many reasons.

Day 3 tomorrow then WC on Saturday, new carbon, and actinics only...Sunday, back to the normal photo period.

Can't wait to see how things look to tell you the truth!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15010167#post15010167 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EvMiBo
I've recently had a pretty large cyano breakout, I feed my 2 fish every other day and it's getting out of control, I don't think I overfeed but wouldn't be surprised if I do (this is my first tank!). My question is: to siphon out the cyano before the 3 - 4 days lights out, do you basically just grab a 5gal bucket and start the siphon with a hose of some sort? Or do you use those vacuum looking hoses? Tagging along, this cyano is looking nasty!

Just buy some tubing at Home Depot or Lowes long enough to reach the bottom of your tank and to the floor of your house. Put one end of the tube in the tank and suck the water out the other side to get a siphon going; then use the hose in the tank to suck off the Cyno...pretty easy procedure to tell you the truth. Just make sure not to siphon any corals in the process.

We are reserching the next way...
I advise that the author wouldnt want to publish until he had more stadistical results...
But we hijack him...
It is a very interesting experiment against cyano...
After, this experiment becames in a way to study coral coloration and growth...

http://translate.google.es/translat...thread.php?t=13241&sl=es&tl=en&hl=es&ie=UTF-8

"Regarding the action on the corals, I can say that in the 2 weeks that I have had under these circumstances, have not suffered anything - and always take these claims with the appropriate caution, but most have been developed, improved colors and healed wounds. Further, these startling results led me to establish another line of research about the benefits and detriments of the actinic light / trifósforo, also based on these studies"

We need volunters for the above experiment...

If the experiment is succsseful you might kill the pest and enhance coral growth and coloration.

I just did my first lights out about 1 week ago. My tank had been up & running for almost a year. I have a 46 with a10 gallon fuge, my water params were perfect & when I say perfect I mean spot on but all of a sudden out of nowhere came my first cyano. I also only feed about 4 times a week. I tried everything, I was doing large water changes, scrubbing, all sorts of things. I finally had enough & decided I was going to do lights out. So I did a 15 gallon water change, sucked out everything I could, scrubbed the cyano off my rocks & left the lights out for 4 days. When i turned my lights back on, what a difference. my tank looked absolutely fantastic. i think that I may actually start to do a lights out cycle every other month or so. And btw, my corals & clams didn't care at all......

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15015464#post15015464 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spw4949
I just did my first lights out about 1 week ago. My tank had been up & running for almost a year. I have a 46 with a10 gallon fuge, my water params were perfect & when I say perfect I mean spot on but all of a sudden out of nowhere came my first cyano. I also only feed about 4 times a week. I tried everything, I was doing large water changes, scrubbing, all sorts of things. I finally had enough & decided I was going to do lights out. So I did a 15 gallon water change, sucked out everything I could, scrubbed the cyano off my rocks & left the lights out for 4 days. When i turned my lights back on, what a difference. my tank looked absolutely fantastic. i think that I may actually start to do a lights out cycle every other month or so. And btw, my corals & clams didn't care at all......

Now you got me fired up! Can't wait:)

I can tell you that with the ambient light in the house the sand already looks really white almost like when I first launched the tank.

IF this does what I think it will, this will become a part of my husbandary and conduct every 90-days.

Well it's day four and actinics are on and the tank looks FANTASTIC!!!! I can't believe it; it simply looks great and all the minor nuisance algae is gone, the sand bed looks super white and the water crystal clear.

The skimmer was a little more active then usual but other then that this was simply a great tank management procedure that generates great results.

I can tell you that I will conduct this no 3-day photo period once every 90-days now going forward.

I recommend this to all who have not done a 3-day no light period yet!

BTW, all corals are fine:)

I recently got some new frags, but once they are done acclimating I plan on doing the same. Do you have any before and after pictures? Do you do anything different with hardware, filter media, cheato etc.?

I have just started to develop a little cyano. I'm going to give a couple of new frags a couple of more days to adjust and then I will try it. Here is a current pic.
101_0358.jpg

Back