tide pooling pics... san pedro, 56k beware!!!

supernareg

lots of these, same colored
P6032539.jpg

most beautiful crab i've ever seen
P6032538.jpg

whooooosh
P6032536.jpg

P6032533.jpg

flatworm anyone?
P6032530.jpg

find the goby... there were TONS and TONS of these guys, same color
P6032529.jpg

tons of these too
P6032528.jpg

supernareg

more pics

more pics

P6032527.jpg

P6032524.jpg

sea hare... fast lil guy
P6032522.jpg

how cute!
P6032519.jpg

chiton
P6032518.jpg

every rock was covered by barnacles
P6032517.jpg

P6032514.jpg

turbos anyone??
P6032512.jpg

supernareg

no, its cold water 1... and we were on a state ecological reserve lol, i took my fishin license to snatch a clean up crew possibly a goby, but i saw the sign :(

SurferStevo

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7499554#post7499554 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigElephant
Can you give me direction?

Head west until you see the ocean. ;)
These are cold water animals unless you keep a cold water tank (temp at 70 max.!) you should skip bringing anything home & just enjoy them in their natural envirinment.

BigElephant

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7499570#post7499570 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SurferStevo
Head west until you see the ocean. ;)

I guess eastbound is a much longer process!:rollface:

No. I don't plan to take these animals home. I am planning to bring my kids over.

NicoleC

Neat pics! I always like tidepools.

In the future, though, please don't pick up or move the animals, or let kids do it. It can literally mean their death. There are lots of small aquariums (and big aquariums) that have tidepool petting areas, where the animals are safe from getting killed by the next wave or a predator because they lost their protection from being latched down on their rocks.

Gently touching them while they are in place is usually okay for the animals, though.

Sohal11

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7501490#post7501490 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigElephant
I guess eastbound is a much longer process!:rollface:

No. I don't plan to take these animals home. I am planning to bring my kids over.

Are you telling us that you are taking your kids and leaving them there? :lol:

BigElephant

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7502426#post7502426 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sohal11
Are you telling us that you are taking your kids and leaving them there? :lol:

Mihgt not be a bad suggestion at all!

Crusty Old Shellback

MASVC OG
Premium Member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7502414#post7502414 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NicoleC
Neat pics! I always like tidepools.

In the future, though, please don't pick up or move the animals, or let kids do it. It can literally mean their death. There are lots of small aquariums (and big aquariums) that have tidepool petting areas, where the animals are safe from getting killed by the next wave or a predator because they lost their protection from being latched down on their rocks.

Gently touching them while they are in place is usually okay for the animals, though.

;)

UCSB has a nice area with touch tanks that's open on the weekends as well. It's called " The R.E.E.F." and is geared towards our youth. ;)

NicoleC

I know Long Beach has a big touch pool area, and I think Cabrillo does, too. It's a popular feature! I think the hard part is keeping the adults away long enough for the kids to get a turn. ;)

mr.bear

cool stuff i wanna to check out some tide pool areas?anyone got a link or directions for some cool places to check out,or even tips?like best times ect...thanks i just took marine bio this semester for school but the lab was too full and i didnt get to go anywhere...

Fmellish

I grew up in the tidepools in south Laguna.

I haven't been back to the tide pools since moving out of Laguna in the early 90s.

pledosophy

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7499554#post7499554 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigElephant
Can you give me direction?

From Cerritos? Take the 91 to the 5 south. Take the 5 south to the 55 south. Take that to the 73 south. Exit Mac Aurthur (it is before the toll) That exit will take you southbound on Mac Aurthur.

Take MacAurthur until it dead ends at PCH turn left (south). Take PCh a few miles until you reach Crytal Cove State Park. Turn right into the lot. Tidepools there are quite nice.

Another nice place is Little Corona in Corona Del Mar. Same direction to Crystal cove except after you turn on MacAurthur you are going o turn right on to Poppy.Poppy dead ends at Ocean where there is a big ramp that you walk to down to the ocean.

I'm at these places twice a week for work. Have seen many a cool things. Favorite was a giant starfish and an octopus. The dolphins were pretty cool though. Go at low tide, it is so worth the wait to go at a good low tide.