Tiger tail cucumber

kf1978

In my display I have Reeflowers pearl white sand, grain size 1-1.5mm, will this grain size be ok for a cucumber to digest?

That grain size is fine for cucumbers. They really need more detritus than a lot of tanks have, especially very new tanks or very clean reefs. How big and how old is your tank? If you don't have detritus piling up yet, I would wait until you do. I think a fighting conch is better for cleaner, smaller tanks. A cucumber will gradually shrink down to nothing if it doesn't get enough food.

My display is a 6x2x2.5, been setup since 2012, just about to change substrate from course coral gravel to The Reeflowers sand, going to do this in 3 stages over 3 weekends & not looking to add cucumber until next year.

All that sounds great. Your tank is big enough and you aren't rushing the cucumber intro. Sounds like a plan! Again, I would let detritus pile up, so it has a 'backlog' of detritus buildup, to ensure it has enough. Sinking veggie-foods can also be added to supplement.

The sand swap sounds tricky. To help speed up the transition, consider mixing some of your old gravel into the new sand. You very well could go into a cycle again, so you'll want to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to keep in touch with conditions, and change out some water where necessary.

Good luck kf1978 and welcome to RC!

All that sounds great. Your tank is big enough and you aren't rushing the cucumber intro. Sounds like a plan! Again, I would let detritus pile up, so it has a 'backlog' of detritus buildup, to ensure it has enough. Sinking veggie-foods can also be added to supplement.

The sand swap sounds tricky. To help speed up the transition, consider mixing some of your old gravel into the new sand. You very well could go into a cycle again, so you'll want to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to keep in touch with conditions, and change out some water where necessary.

Good luck kf1978 and welcome to RC!

Thanks Michael

Back