Time to start adding fish to the 180

Mussin

So far I just have a small pair of clowns in the 180. Tank is getting over the ugly stage.. Time to start adding fish. Look g for suggestions. I'm looking to put maybe 4 tangs in along with some other fish. Open top so no jumpers (wrasse) looking for some different fish

When adding tangs try to do it @ 1 time so they form their territories together.
Tangs with a mouth like a Kole tang are good algae eaters. Long Nose Hawks do well & you can have multiples.

fox face is a good choice or smaller bristle tooth tangs. If you want a big tang a clown tang but they get mean so a lavender tang might be cool. Add them all at the same time so they don't kill each other. I added a butterfly recently and my fox face hates it because its a similar color if it ate algae it would've killed it by now I think.

One of the other great things about having a 180 is that you can keep schools or harems of smaller fish. And remember to get all the small fish you want BEFORE you add the tangs.

I once kept a harem of seven Royals Grammas in a 180. It was awesome. Other options are Barnacle Blennies, Zebra Dartfish, Allen's Damselfish, and even Dwarf Angelfish.

The natural social behaviors are on full display and watching the tank becomes like watching a soap opera. In my opinion this is much more entertaining than the usual "as many single fish as I can fit" menagerie.

Here is the plan.. All of the fish are going in at the same time. Its going to be heavily stocked with fish, mostly Tangs. Going into a 180 with Lots of swinning room.

Orange shoulder, Blonde Naso, Kole, Mimic, and maybe a Powder brown.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat with a 180. I tried anthias but they all died. I think a group of firefish gobies would be cool but they say don't put more than one in a tank. I wonder if anyone has placed 6-8 in a tank though.
I currently have a clownfish pair, 2 hippo tang, 1 purple tang, 1 yellow tang, 1 solar fairy wrasse, 1 flame angelfish, 1 splendid dottyback and 4 chromis. I want to add more chromis but also want to add more color that's why I went with anthias but already killed 8 of them (never had anthias before so wondering if they are more fragile or just my bad luck). I am thinking of adding pairs of dwarf angels together and also some wrasses but the prices have gone up so much lately. I'd love to add a bunch of cardinal fish as well but I am not sure if they will survive the current.

Back