Time to upgrade skimmer... suggestions?

xtlosx

Just Reefin'
Hey everyone, so right now I have a Bubble Magus Curve 9 that has been chugging away for 2.5 yrs now but it will be time to make a change. The pump I believe is starting to walk on its last legs (making louder operational noises & sounds like a choking once in a while). I've cleaned it several times, to no avail... It's time for something much quieter, but just as efficient! I need some suggestions... Internal pump preferable as well.

Current Dimensions: 9.25" x 11.6" x 23.6"

I'd need something roughly similar, maybe an 1" or so on both length and width. I'm looking for suggestions... wanting it to be rated for 300G or so, as over sized as I can get, as I am 99% SPS and feed heavily.

Please send suggestions, and I will work with the dimension research! Thank you everyone!!

I do not really go by manufacturers ratings because their is no real science behind them, just smoke and mirrors.

I will point you towards the Aqua Maxx/JNS line of skimmers, start at the Cone 2 and look at the Cone 3 series lots of reviews so it should be easy to get what you need.

I also had a bubble magus nac9. I switched to a skimz monzter sm203 from BRS on sale at the time. Great great skimmer, absolutely quiet, adjustable with water height, pump flow and/or air flow. small footprint for great capacity

I have a bubble magus and love it, haven't noticed a peep out of it. Those and reef octopus are the ones I would suggest since they are the ones I have most experience (outside of a relatively crappy coralife skimmer I have on my 90)

Skimz Monzter SM203 DC Internal Protein Skimmer

AquaC EV240

Lots of great options out there. I know a guy that bought a larger Skimz DC skimmer and he loves it. Says it's super quiet and hasn't regretted a thing about it.

I have a BM Curve 9 also. Your pump is probably fine sounds like you need a you impeller. My impeller became just a tinny bit lose meaning you could move the needle wheel about 2mm back and forth. just the small amount and it rattled like crazy, put a new one in and it was back to new just a bit of the AC hum. That skimmer pulls unbelievable amounts of air. I had to stop using it because it was too much for 100 Gal. It would stop skimming for like 3 to 4 days because it had nothing to skim but when it did what it pulled out was thick and dark and some of the foulest stuff I had any skimmer pull out, it reminded me of my old Beckett skimmer. It is amazing how big that skimmer is. I think you should try putting a new impeller in it and go from there.

Back