Time to upgrade! To drill or not to drill?

90sShooter

As some of you already know, I just found AEFW in my 24g aquapod. This is kind of a setback, but will all setbacks I find opportunity to go bigger and better! So I have decided to treat the flatworms by QT'ing and dipping several times over the next few weeks... Then I will be transferring over and starting fresh (well, with my existing coral collection) in a 45g tank I just picked up from a local reefer (Thanks again Chris!).

Now here is my question, do I drill and put in an overflow? Or keep it simple like my current setup and just use my Remora HOB skimmer with pre-skimmer box (If you have an extra laying around, let me know, I need one)? I have had great luck so far with a very simple setup using ONLY a HOB skimmer and no sump. Although the new tank is 20g more capacity, I think this skimmer is rated for twice the size and should still do the trick with my mild fish bioload.

I have some time as I plan to use this as a QT for the next couple weeks as is with no special equipment. But then I need to decide what I am going to do.

Also, if anybody has an extra overflow laying around please let me know...

And I will need help drilling if I do decide to drill it. So anybody with some time and experience, I will compensate with frags :D (Just make sure you dip them ;) lol)

One more thing, the new tank is 24" deep and my current tank is ~18" tall with a 150w mh. Mostly SPS with the highest being about 4"-5" from the surface. I plan to TRY to keep my existing rock setup. So my coral will be a good 6" deeper in water. Should I switch to a 250w

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited:
What does the AE stand for? and how does it harm your corals? just curious cause ive heard it mentioned manytimes but im clueless to what it is?

It is glass...

Acro Eating Flat Worms :( They eat your acros... not cool... I saw bite marks on a couple sps and took out to investigate. You have to dry out the coral to spot them otherwise they blend right in and you cannot even see them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14180513#post14180513 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PasadenaReefer
What does the AE stand for? and how does it harm your corals? just curious cause ive heard it mentioned manytimes but im clueless to what it is?
AEFW = Acro Eating Flat Worms. I believes

Drill . Hang On Back Overflow = flood

If I don't drill, I will have no sump... No HOB overflow for me. I have never had any experience with them, but just hearing how they work does NOT sound like a good idea to me... lol

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14180630#post14180630 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 90sShooter
If I don't drill, I will have no sump... No HOB overflow for me. I have never had any experience with them, but just hearing how they work does NOT sound like a good idea to me... lol

if you bring it to chino hills I can drill it for you, I also have an extra glass holes overflow that I ordered and never used. I even have an extra sump that you can have for a frag

Pm me

sounds like the consensus is to drill. I have never had a tank with a sump, can somebody tell me what is so great about having a sump? besides the fact that it allows you to keep your heater out of your display and a place for a skimmer, AND give you more water volume in turn making the tank a little more stable... Anything else?

Drill it!! much better to hide heaters and skimmer. I think you will be good with that skimmer, thats what i had on my 40g.

it lets you put all the necessities in the sump, heater, skimmer, ph probe, carbon and po4 and it also adds to water volume, helping keep the params more stable.

I have a sump that would be perfect for you. I notched it out for my remora to fit perfectly

who wants to help me drill? :D also need the following if anybody has them laying around?

Overflow
Sump
Heater (for now, until I can take mine from my current tank)
Bulkheads and plumbing (if somebody has some extra laying around)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14180780#post14180780 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paulairduck
if you bring it to chino hills I can drill it for you, I also have an extra glass holes overflow that I ordered and never used. I even have an extra sump that you can have for a frag

Pm me

Don't know how I missed this, did you just edit it? lol

Anyway, PM Sent!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14181026#post14181026 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by five.five-six
get a sump!

Wish I would have known I was gonna do this yesterday... I would have snagged that sump at the meeting. O well, looks like my fellow reefers are looking out. Thanks guys! Hopefully I can get this thing drilled and plumbed in the next couple days and get it wet this week... I really want to get rid of these flatworms before I lose my beautiful coral... :(

Back