Tip of the week:

puffster

Ok, think I would have learned the first time: Sump bottleneck. Have been experiencing high nitrate and phosphate readings over the last few months despite water changes and running GFO. Well it seems that my sump is once again the culprit. We all know that biological filtration is the key to keeping healthy reef aquariums. Except: When you fill your live rock sump compartment like a Vacation Suitcase. YOU NEED FLOW! My case was that I had too much rock per volume of the biological filtration compartment of my sump I.E. too much rock for the space it was in creating a "catch all" for detritus, even with a filter sock. So, make sure that you have enough flow through your biological filtration not around it. I hope this helps someone that is going through the same thing with the same mistakes. "Too much of a good thing can also be a hinderance toward the progress gf good."

I just went through similar. But in my case not enough flow AND too many nutrients bottled up in the substrate and bottom of the fuge. Moved to Two 8x8x4 marine Pure blocks as a Fleece Roller stand (instead of a bunch of fuge rocks) and EMPTIED all the rock and detritus out from the center fuge section. Got some fresh Chaeto from a friend and its clean again. Almost too clean but its better than all that Cyano killing off the chaeto then releasing more nutrients.

Attachments

• Fuge.jpg
    Fuge.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 0
Back