To Cover Or Not To Cover The Sump

Josecuervo1

I was wondering, should I put a lid on my sump to prevent all that salt build up around it or just let it be ?? I keep hearing different things all the time and wanted your opinions.... Thank you.

Mine is 50/50. I put acyclic pieces (( vertically )) around the inflow/skimmer section. A slim piece over the bubble trap, and one across the fuge section -- mainly to support the light. The return section is open, and has a fan over it.

If I didn't describe that very well, can take a picture tonight.

I kinda figured that but cooling from what ? The light I have does not really generate any heat at all. Would that help with evaporation ?? I noticed how fast the level of water in my sump goes down !!

Yes, like Steve mention, the fan is for evaporation cooling. I have 2*250 MH + 4*54 T5 over this tank. Though, the fan didn't kick on as much at the new place, this tank is in the "English" basement, and the A/C works better.

Anyways, here are the pictures -- didn't even bother to clean off the salt creep. ;)

Whole thing (( 20 gallon long for my 75 ))

006.jpg

Skimmer/inflow section

005.jpg

001.jpg

Over the fuge

003-1.jpg

002.jpg

Thank you sir.

For this tank, I would say about 1/2 to 1 gallon per day. It depends on the time of year, and the over all humidity levels.

This time of year -- fall in the Midwest -- is when I evaporate the least amount; the temps are reasonable, and it isn't too dry nor too humid.

Even in a controlled temp environment ? My house here in FL is kept at around 76 degrees during the day and down to 72 at night. I'm looking into making my own ATO system. Might have to go back to YouTube and study !!!

Back