To let a fish die in tank or not?

chain

I have a 120 gal tank with a 35 gal sump. Lots of live rock, some coral, and right now 5 small fish. Two clowns, a lawnmower blenny, a lantern bass, and a six line wrasse. The lantern is probably 5-6 years old. As of late he's lost his appetite and seems to be weaker swimming and sometimes turning on his side or nose down. He's not being bullied and the other tank mates and corals are doing just fine. All that said I assume he's probably dying of old age, I assume this is old for a lantern.

This brings me to my question. Do I let him die naturally and let scavengers have him or do I take him out and be done? I feel like being 120 gal tank with a sump that with his size, it wouldn't hurt anything. On the other hand it's not exactly helping the water either and I can put him out of his misery. What do you think?

I decided to take him out. I've seen him go more downhill in the last hour. Figure no reason to let those toxins go in the tank if I can get him out easy enough.

To answer the question.. A tank of that size should have no problems due to the death and decomposition of a single fish..
While its best to remove it that really isnt mandatory

My post above assumes he euthanized it after removal. I have used the 'put the fish in a bag of tank water, and put it in the freezer' method. I believed that to be the most humane way to go.

I haven't heard of the clove oil method. Can you elaborate?

Any "problematic" fish have always just gone straight down the toilet in my house...

If someone feels that depriving something of oxygen is more "humane" then more power to them..
Not sure how one determines a pain level when you suffocate a fish.. I'm curious about that....

There is the argument it would be more humane to remove the fish and euthanize it by putting it in a bucket of water and adding some clove oil. Fish are a lot smarter than they are generally given credit for and we should be giving them the same consideration we give our other pets.

(Cleaner Wrasse Passes the Mirror Test for Self Awarness)

I second the clove oil method. Dont let the poor fish suffer.
Although im sure the special snowflakes on the forum will comment. Putting straight into the garbage is instant death too.

Back