To much drain, not enough return

I shut off one drain, and the water level in the sump returned to about 50/60% and the water in the display returned to close to where I started.

unless it's overflowing, don't worry about the water height in the display. It should be determined by your (static) overflow boxes, not by the amount of water draining from the tank.

Thanks everyone. I will open the valves on the drains to full open, I will then see what happens. If I need to regulate pump, I will

When I did this last nigh, the loud noice was from the water level being at the mouth of the drain opening. Will a larger air hole solve this?

Thanks everyone. I got home, opened both drains all of the way, once the durso's started the noise, I took a 5/32 drill bit and opened the air hole and the water level rose in the overflow boxes to the proper level and the noise stopped, I have to remove a few gallons form the sump, it has too much water, but everything seems to be running like it should.

Thanks for the education!

Thanks everyone. I got home, opened both drains all of the way, once the durso's started the noise, I took a 5/32 drill bit and opened the air hole and the water level rose in the overflow boxes to the proper level and the noise stopped, I have to remove a few gallons form the sump, it has too much water, but everything seems to be running like it should.

Thanks for the education!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm having a similar problem, can I get your thoughts? I've got a quite one return pump and I I'm having a similar problem, can I get your thoughts? I've got a quite one return pump and I have to turn it to its lowest flow to prevent the air gurgle from my duro standpipe/return line. I have an air regulated valve instead of a hole on the top. I want more flow. I've tried opening the air valve all the way and ever where in between with no luck when running pump wide open. I'm thinking my stand pipe is to low because that water seems to fall lower (in the over flow box) then where the elbow opening to turn it to its lowest flow to prevent the air gurgle from my durso standpipe (drain line). I have an air regulated valve instead of a hole on the top. I want more flow. I've tried opening the air valve all the way and ever where in between with no luck when running pump wide open. I'm thinking my stand pipe is to low because that water seems to fall lower (in the over flow box) then where the elbow opening is, the makes a BIG gulp, then the over refills?
Thanks. A bunch

Gulping Overflow-

Gulping Overflow-

I have an 85 purchased from Great Lakes Aquarium, Mich.

The same issue was occuring for me when using the supplied overflow pipes.

I resolved this issue by actually drilling a 2nd hole in the top ot the standpipe.
Next to the supplied one.

I made both of them same size as airline tubing.
So a valve could be used to restrict if necessary.

As has been mentioned earlier, you aren't getting enough air into your Durso to prevent a siphon from forming. Durso's are air-assisted drains, not full siphons, and they don't require adjustments.

Your Durso should have a cap on the top (above the water line) with a hole or tubing that allows air to get in to it. I'm guessing the hole either isn't big enough, or it is blocked. Over time, salt spray can get in the hole and eventually clog it.

You will likely need to drill a slightly larger hole in the cap, or do what reefnoober did and drill a second hole. Be careful not to go too big with it though, you want it just big enough to prevent a siphon from forming.

I believe the down-turned elbows on these should be a couple of inches below the top of your overflow. Much more than that and your overflow box will sound like a waterfall as the water from the tank flows into it.

Here's some good info on them: http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

more rambling & stuff I forgot to mention...

more rambling & stuff I forgot to mention...

I stood on a small step ladder & watched mine to observe the "flushing" noise.
I concluded it needed more air inlet, when I saw the water level in the overflow dropping below the inlet elbow,...cause the "flushing" noise.
I found by gently blowing on the airline, it would help maintain the overflow box water level, when the water level would begin to drop in the box area.

I first tried just enlargening the origional hole...stepping up the hole size very slowly. I didn't want to be larger then airline tubing dia. (knowing I could restrict air inlet if needed)
I ended up deciding I actually needed an additional hole.

After enlargening my origional hole & adding the second hole, I added some small black rubber tubing (about same dia. as airline) into the holes. Just a gentle twisting & they fit nice & snug into the holes.
It balanced my system perfectly, I didn't even need the airline valve(s) to adjust it.

I found it also helped reduce water noises (generated in the overflow box durso) by having the tubing end located out of the overflow box - above the tank top.
(I have glass lids with a plastic trim about 3 in. wide at the rear.)
I also made holes in the trim edging & fed the hoses through it. They stick out only about 1 in. or so, behind my light fixture.
The noise is basically non-existant for me now.
Thank God!... I hated that durso "flushing" noise..

Now, the only noise is the flowing in the pipes down into my refugium in the stand,...but I can live with that sound.

Back