To Triton or not to Triton, that is the question...

TanksDad13

OK, so I have just about all the gear for my 120 build and I'm still wrestling whether to do Triton or constant water change. I'm not entirely sure that there will be as much a financial difference, but interested if anyone has experience to share.

I have everything I need to do Triton, no skimmer though. If I go constant water change, I need to consider dosing and have little to no knowledge / experience with Calcium Reactors vs. Kalk dosing. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

I plan on making this a SPS dominant mixed reef and will stock it fairly well.

• 120 gallon DT
  • 44 Gallon Sump
  • ~20 gallon frag tank
  • All XR15
  • Neptune COR
  • Kessil H380 for the fuge
  • DOS (6 heads)
  • Apex 2016

Cheers - :beer:

i have JUST started getting into dosing alk, calcium and MG. My tank has never been stable.
Start with some BRS videos on basic chemistry and why you need those three items and also how they interact with eachother.

I dont feel like typing a whole page but i start with this advise. Get the 75$ doser from BRS to start doing alk. The other two you can manually dose starting out with out any worries.

My tank has taken off since alk is stable now (no more weekly water changes)

PM if you wanna chat. Im still a newbie at all this BUT iv done crazy amounts of research to make the process easier and cheapest possible (no costly mistakes)

I really like my auto water change system. I still run a calcium reactor on top of that though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Will since you already have six dosing heads for your Apex I would say hold off on the calcium reactor for now and either go with Triton or two-part Triton would take up four of the heads and then the other two heads I would set up an auto water change system. Cuz even with Triton you will need water changes sometimes and that setup would be probably the easiest lowest maintenance type set up a person could ever do and then later on when your tank starts to grow out if you decide to switch over to a calcium reactor it shouldn't be no problem

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Will since you already have six dosing heads for your Apex I would say hold off on the calcium reactor for now and either go with Triton or two-part Triton would take up four of the heads and then the other two heads I would set up an auto water change system. Cuz even with Triton you will need water changes sometimes and that setup would be probably the easiest lowest maintenance type set up a person could ever do and then later on when your tank starts to grow out if you decide to switch over to a calcium reactor it shouldn't be no problem

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Interesting thought...

Back