Toadstool help, please!

bamf25

I purchased a toadstool about 1 weeks ago. After accimation it was placed in a mod/hig flow area with mod to high lighting. For the first few days it opened very nicely to what looked like full extention, and at time would have 50% to 75% of the polyps open. The last two days it has been much less happy, and kinda fully pulled up. At times it will open up about 50%, but I have not seen the polyp extention. My water it was temp 78, salinity 1.024, calcium 430, alk 9.3, Mg 1300, ammonia/nitrite 0, Nitrate about 5 ppm. At the same time I introduced a favia to the tank which every night has good sweeper extention.

Any ideas what may be going on here? I did decide to lower my light level a little thinking that it is still acclimating and the light my be too bright. I am brand new to corals and could just use some advice.

I find that mine have always done better in low flow and lower light, in fact, when I turn all my pumps off and the water is totally still it will extend it's polyps a huge amount. Try placing it somewhere else.

Just let it be. It may take a week or three to open up. They will sometimes shut down for long periods of time for no known reason. Sometimes, they will get what looks like a waxy layer of skin over them which they will shed then re open again. Be patient. Only be concerned when they start turning black and dissolving. At this point they are dead. Not before.

Dennis

Just let it be. It may take a week or three to open up. They will sometimes shut down for long periods of time for no known reason. Sometimes, they will get what looks like a waxy layer of skin over them which they will shed then re open again. Be patient. Only be concerned when they start turning black and dissolving. At this point they are dead. Not before.

Dennis

+1. Mine took about two weeks to fully acclimate. After about a week it shedded its entire "cap" and was completely fine. Full polyp extension ever since, some are over 2" long. It's at the bottom of the tank, under 250 watt halides. Good luck!

I have a tyree green toadstool that the polyps literally never come out more than like a 1/4". I wonder if it's just the position of it, cuz I have had it for almost a year now.

I am considering movinig is down a little and into a slightly lower flo area also. Right now it is about 1/2 up my tank.

Back