Toadstool Leather - Please Help!

jpc763

Nothing to see Move along
OK, so I sound like a broken record. This is the 4th time in a month that the Toadstool has stopped extending it's polyps. Something *has* to be wrong.

This last time the toadstool shed, extended half way for 1 day and stopped again. I moved it to a place with less flow to try to encourage it to extend. No luck. It is completely bent over. Here are some pics from tonight.

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

Water Parameters from tonight
Temp: 78.5
SG: 1.026
pH: 8.4
NO2: 0
NO3: 0
Amm: 0
Phosphate: 0
Calcium: 420
dKh: 8

I say dont worry..... as long as its not "melting", you dont need to worry. My leather gets bent over for a week at a time, then pops back up higher than before.

I think maybe it has to do with generating "energy" for growth? or maybe has to do with the cycle of the moon? I dont know, but dont worry, its normal for corals to go through periods where they recede.

Yours looks fine to me, but I would say stop moving it around and let it get used to being in your tank. as long as it doesn't melt, its ok

My leather took a good month to settle in. I agree with the suggestions, just let it do its thing.

You can always do PolyFilter and carbon "just in case", but it's probably just acclimation.

Dan

can you post a fts so we can see the direction and approx flow as well as some info on lighting?

i agree with dan's suggestion of carbon and Poly-Filters, just make sure you're changing them aggreessively, i.e. weekly basis. this is just for the moment, later on when it recovers and things stabilize for it you can test longer periods in-between changes. but i recommend an aggressive chemical filtration regime until then.

the stalk appears to have some biofilm/bacteria covering/spotting (the yellowing spots). i'd try to remove those with a gentle rubbing motion from an edge device, like an unsharpened pencil. be careful not to disturb it too much though, i.e. not too rough.

imo, it's best to do any cleaning or examination continuously underwater. stress, even momentary, adds to the problem. a healthy/happy coral will just shrug it off but that's not the present situation. so try to do the "cleaning" either in the tank or submerged transfer in a separate container (then tossing most of the container's water later). this is also my preferred method for fragging, lessens coral internal fluids/stress chemicals in the tank's water.

btw, as long as the stalk and top appear firm and full, the coral should be healthy enough to recover on its own. so waiting for it to shed is an option, i.e. doing nothing as taillon suggested.

Here is a left and right shot of my tank. There are 3 points of flow.

IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

The first flow point is the back middle fuge return. The return pump is a QuietOne 3000 with 4' of return tube so the flow rate is supposed to be about 590gph along the back wall.

The second flow point is on the left back corner about 2/3 of the way up the wall. It is a MaxiJet 1200 with a HydorFlo attachment. The attachment uses the MaxiJet flow cause it to turn and shoot water in a circular direction. The direction of the head is towards the middle front of the tank.

The third flow point is on the right corner about 3/4 of the way up the wall. Also a MaxiJet with a HydorFlo and also pointed at the middle front.

As far as biofilm, I will check tonight, but I do not believe there is any yellow spots. There are red spots on the stalk however.

Finally, As far as filtration, I do not run any carbon. My only filter material (other than fuge and live rock) is 2 part poly filter going into my fuge. Do I need more than that? Where should I put the carbon?

As far as moving it, I have moved it once in the past month. After the 3rd shed and a single day of polyp extension, I moved it from the right side of the tank to the middle of the tank. Same level in the tank (sand), just less flow.

sorry, i meant the brownish looking spotting on the stalk, it looked yellowish at my office computer. the reddish spotting could be a little cyano.

i'm with jrl, i would move it higher for lighting but also for some positive flow. not talking direct flow or strong flow, something medium (2"~4"/sec.) indirect and intermittent. but it shouldn't be at the substrate level, maybe towards the right-side midway up.

you can place the carbon anywhere in the setup. i would plan for a weekly change for the time being, i.e. aggressive chemical filtration.

So I moved it a week ago. Would it be ok to move it again? As far as the pics, any height in particular to move it? To keep it out of the direct flow, I would need to move it to the far right or far left side of the tank.

i think you need to move it to give it better lighting. i'm one to not move corals very often (they're simply not used to it) but leaving it where it is, isn't optimal imo.

i'd move it to just the upper right of the open brain. not sure it it would stay on that slight slope on the rock but it seems to be getting very good light and some flow.

the sarco shouldn't be devoid of flow (almost no coral should be), i just don't think it should be under direct/concentrated flow.

i think you need to move it to give it better lighting. i'm one to not move corals very often (they're simply not used to it) but leaving it where it is, isn't optimal imo.

I agree with tinyreef, I did exactly what he advised for my toadstool and it has been fully open catchin the current since.

Mine is about the exact size of yours and I've had it just about 1 month now.

Mid tank, good flow.

coral2.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11685378#post11685378 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tinyreef

i'd move it to just the upper right of the open brain. not sure it it would stay on that slight slope on the rock but it seems to be getting very good light and some flow.

the sarco shouldn't be devoid of flow (almost no coral should be), i just don't think it should be under direct/concentrated flow.
OK, so the stalk seemed to be flattening so I moved it. It is now about 2/3 of the way up on the right side of the rock that has the candycane corals on it. Since it is on the side of the rock (there was a nitch there) I was able to get it to stick. It also has very minimal flow since it is on the side of the rock away from the PH.

I will keep you posted. It is clearly waxed over.

Back