Toadstool Mushroom

singold

My small half dollar size Mushroom Leather has been getting a brown coating on top of it recently. I just got it about a week ago. Any tips on what I can do, or something I'm missing. I had it up higher in tank, and was told this best location, but didn't know if there is something else I'm missing to do with this coral. It just doesn't seem to be looking that great and now this brown coating on top of it. Any ideas or tips?

It sounds to me like it has brown jelly infection. It can quickly spread and there isn't a whole lot that you can do once a coral gets it.

My yellow leather coral got infected w/ brown jelly infection. it doesn't really look like jelly but it killed the coral.

They shed their outer layer every month or so. If there is a mushy area on the coral I would say it's infected. If not it's probably just a normal process. They do need flow to help with this process. Sometimes they will remain closed for a week or more untill they are done sloughing off tissue. If it collapses or turns cheesy in spots.,it needs a freshwater dip and excision of infected tissue.

I do not think it is brown jelly,which is a protozoan infestation normally affecting lps and xenia. In any event a fresh water dip or lugol's dip is needed with brown jelly.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12870233#post12870233 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by singold
Did it infect your other corals?

No, I'm pretty sure that it can't spread and infect other corals.

A brown jelly infection will spread throughout an enteire tank very quickly.

Well, I have a pulsing xenia and its doing well, very healthy and vibrant. The toadstool I got last Friday. Maybe its still acclimating also. I moved it lower in tank today to an area with better flow and maybe was too much light. I had it up pretty high in tank. I have a compact Coralife 10k w/actinic lighting. Which isn't overly bright, but am trying to relocate toadstool leather coral trying different things. It doesn't look mushy, just a darker brown residue so to speak on its crown.
The area I had it in didn't have a lot of flow. I have a 55gal, with only 1 Koralia 3, I ordered another Koralia 3 off internet for other side of tank which should be here in a couple of days. I get flow also from my protein skimmer, Fluval cannister filter outflow tube, and I Whisper 60 filter. But I do need another powerhead which I am getting in few days.

Sacrophyton(toadstools like light). It could actually use more than your pc but can do well with that. Sounds like a normal shedding process. For some reason this tends to occur after a new plaement. Give it good flow and light to stimulate the polyps to open and don't move it around. It takes alot of energy for any coral to adjust to new conditions everytime you move it..

Thanks Tom, I put it directly back where it was higher in tank to light and redirected some flow towards it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12870768#post12870768 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tmz
A brown jelly infection will spread throughout an enteire tank very quickly.

Wow. Never knew that.

I agree with TMZ,as I said in yor other thread, they will ha a shedding process were they will look like crap for a few days.

I will see if I have an older pic. of mine when it was shedding.

Sam.....how long did you say it took for your Toadstool Mushroom to get that big? From your pictiure you sent other day it looks like your powerhead is pointed directly at yours. I'm getting another Koralia 3, should I point it directly at mine in my 55 gal.?
Thanks to all for advise. I'm still new to corals, and I guess I am just a bit obsessed with doing the right thing for long term success. Plus I have my tank in my computer room so I just stare at it from 9pm to about 1am. ;)

it took mine 2 years to go from a size of a quarter to where it is now.

I do have the powerhead close to pointing at it but not directly at it,but does get lots of good flow. I would say the koralia 3 your getting, that if it is on the opposite side of the tank and then pointed at it you will be fine.

Thanks Sam, I am in awe of yours, if there is a coral that looks good so prominent in size relative to the tank its in, I would say the Toadstool Leather is a great one. Very good centerpiece & focal point!

Back