Today's mind freeze.. new startup

DaveBien

Brain freeze: Starting a new tank, 24g Nano. I'm using Southdown (new, from secret stash) for the base, a bit of a DSB. I had some old, now dry (over 6 mo), formally live, coral rock that I'm using. I used my 2nd favorite power tool ( a gas powered pressure sprayer. The 1st is a sawzall. Mucho destructo tool !!! ) to clean the rock. Worked great !!

Now to the question... will I still have a spike? It's fresh, new saltwater. The more I think of it the more confused I get. DUH

Thanks

New sand and old, dry rock with new water= cycling from the start. Can you add some old rock and sand to it?

Also if your going w/ sand I'd make it over 4" or 1/2" or less. In the middle isn't going to be very beneficial.

If you're putting 4" of sand in a 24 gallon tank.. skip the water and just make a terrarium instead.

1" or less for that size tank. ..anything more is a waste.
...ugly too.

I agree. If you dont do a dsb then sand is just for looks. 1" is a good amount for that.

4" of sand in a nano cube is . . . a waste of space. If you're set on having a DSB, you can plumb a remote DSB to take care of that but using almost 25% of your display for sand. . . :confused:

Heck, its only me to look at the tank. I believe in DSBs and really not enough space to do a remote DSB. I'm just a little off kilter I guess... LOL.

I'm with ya... I am going to make a jawfish tank with my cube cuz they always jump out of my main... if its what you are looking for then who cares?

I am not all that familiar with nano cubes except a little with the oceanic 29. I am not sure but I dont think there is much difference to the 24. and if thats the case, I would go DSB. IMO, it doesnt have to be 4"+ for denitrifacation. With southdown you can get away with 2.5- 3".

Back