Too many bubble algae in my sps dominant tank

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12435618#post12435618 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Canarygirl
Ditto on no luck with emeralds, but here's what a guy told me who owns a tank design/build/maintenance business. He said that when his clients get valonia, he shuts off their florescent bulbs for a couple of weeks and runs halides only. He says that this will kill off the valonia in every case. I haven't tried it myself but I really need to do something....

i would have to say this dont work. i have a bubble algae problem and i just run mh

I have a naso and only mh. Lots of happy valonia too. When I get around to it I'm going to hook up some ozone to the skimmer and start popping em. Should kill some spores.

This is another similar experience to others. I think bubble algae is almost impossible to get rid of. Manually removing it is most likely the best solution.

Having a lot of bubble algae is probably not a good sign for the entire system. Simply I think acros do BEST in the zone of: Unable to grow algae and algae grows quickly.

Using zeo or vodka or carbon source you can easily manipulate nutrients. Having used one of these systems for over 2 yrs I can say from experience your nutrients are too high.

In my tank I still have some bubble algae but it rarely spreads and grows slowly. I look at algae as meter to how my tank is doing as well as color of acros. Too low fast growers like caps get really pale. Too high algae starts to grow on the glass.

Although this is similar information to above possibly this may reinforce your consideration to lower nutrients in your tank. Also I keeping promoting the sechem white phos beads, they really work and do not seem to me to have the rtn affect of gfo.

i had a bad case of bubble algae once. i removed all the rocks and scrubbed with a metal brush all the rocks and got all algae and bubble algae that i could see. i'm sure there were some that i couldn't get or see. i started a new tank with all the same rocks, and a huge skimmer relative to the size of the tank. i am using GFO for phosphate and dosing vodka every other day. and it's been up for 5 months now with no sign of bubble algae or any other algae for that matter. as a matter a fact, i went on a vacation for over 10 days and when i came back the glass was surprisingly clean. as far as spur being released into the water when you break them i'm not too sure about that cause i would believe that the rocks would have gotten some spurs when i scrubbed them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12422720#post12422720 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Herzberg
Emeralds don't hurt your SPS no. If your infestation is as bad as you say I don't think the emeralds will be enough. If you can't pick them out by hand then I'm afraid that removing the rocks from your tank and cleaning the rocks is the only way to go.

I just got 10 emeralds and woke up this am to find them in my sps.. HMMMM.. Ill observe the corals for any damage but was suprised to see that

>I had a naso that loved it .. would eat all it could reach<

That's really the problem isn't it. I have a Sohol that eats it quite readily as well, but the fish is now way to big to get to a lot of the bubble algae.

I noticed ALOT less valonia proliferation when carbon dosing in my old aquarium.(I am out of the hobby for the moment, but never really out)

Some also have success with a foxface eating it, however, I do not condone getting a fish for this purpose ONLY. If it will have a good home otherwise and would make a good member of your system then go for it.

GFO is also a great help as a previous poster stated.

Blonde naso tangs and Magnificent Foxface are the mowers of bubble and red-flake algae.

Back