Too much Randy's 2 part

Nap

I have been traveling a lot recently and my friend who watches my dog knows nothing about reef tanks other than to check the temp and water level (and of course he loves feeding the fish). So I have recently been having major alk fluctuations (going from 11dhk down to 6dkh in 24 hours) and my calcium is down to 315 even though my top off is kalk. I decided to start working with Randy's two part as I was probably inaccurately dosing separately. My system is a 120 mixed reef.

My levels were:
Calc-315
Alk-5.6dkh
Mag-1140

According to the reef chemistry calculator I needed to add about 1500 ml to get the calcium up but that is a lot so I decided to split it up. The first day I added 600ml of parts A and B and 200ml of the mag additive. I thought it was a bit much but what the hell...

The next day my levels read:
calc-500
alk-9.6dkh
mag-1290

I was pleasantly surprised and dosed 150ml of parts A and B that day.

The next day my levels read:
calc-330
alk-7.7dkh
mag-1230

So I got annoyed and did something stupid. I decided that I hadn't added enough (compared to the day before). So I added another large chunk of 2 part. In went 500ml of parts A and B and 150ml of part C. Everything was fine for about an hour, until... It became a winter wonderland in my tank and calcium started precipitating out of the water. There is a fine dusting of white snow (calcium) all over and the tank looks a bit "foggy." Interestingly, the inhabitants look fine.
Here are the current levels of my "foggy winter wonderland":
calc-370
alk-8.2dkh
mag-1260
The pH shot up to 8.7 until the precipitate started and now it's back down to 8.15.

I have been keeping reef tanks for years and I usualy don't do anything quite this bone-headed. Other than the obvious "I'm an idiot" and I am about to do a water change, got any advice?

I have had 3 times since I started saltwater that I have had massive snowstorms. My experience is that everything looked better after a week or two. I mean better than before it happened! I am guessing it also precipitates out alot of bad things as well. I actually did it on purpose after cycling my current tank and found a perfect balance that was easy to maintain with kalk drip afterwards. I asked Randy H_F if there was any benefit to a precipation event and it seems that he couldn't say one way or another. It sure didn't hurt anything though!

Ha ha! I love that you did it intentionally. How long did you wait before you started dosing 2 part again? It would appear that kalk can't keep my levels stable by itself.
-Ian

Kalk is balanced, so for me it is just a matter of making sure I am putting enough in. 20% water changes and kalk are enough for me.

I know turbo calcium is more expensive than the stuff you buy at the local hardware store but it always worries me what is in the cheap stuff. I have found that with turbo you can raise calcium levels slowly or quickly and have peace of mind about what you are putting in your tank. The 2 part stuff always rasies my alk. levels to much. When you stop and think about how much you have invested in your tank I don't think $18 is really that much for a jar of turbo.

I use pickleing lime for my limewater. Its food grade and costs a lot less. Just because it cost more doesnt make it better. Remember there is always somthing you can spend money on with saltwater tank so spend it wisely

As for overdoseing you can end up with a cement block in your sump made up of 2 part solution if your not carefull.

Has anyone used precipitation as a filtration method?

You could have a refuge size tank in you stand that is the place you add your calcium or 2 part solution. If you regulate the flow through this chamber it could always be supersaterated and precipitation should happen but only in this refuge size tank.

Yes I also use pickleing lime but that is a food grade product. The stuff you put on your driveway to melt salt is definately not.

Back