Too much/Too little light?

simpp88

I cant determine when my corals have too much or too little light. I have been told that my lights are strong and I should move down the montipora. Others tell me that you really cant keep SPS with T5s.

46 gallon bowfront
SG 1.026
Alk 8.4
Ca 415
Mg 1330
Temp 78-80.5
Nitrates and Phosphates near undetectable
Lights ATI T5s x 4 (3x blue plus, 1 purple plus)

I have a montipora digitata in the lower half that I moved down after the tips started to loose polyps.
I also have a montipora setosa in the same region which is doing great.
A green slimer in at mid tank and doing awesome.
I also have a pagoda cup - which is loosing tissue. It was at midtank level and I moved it to the sandbed.
If I get some monti cap or birdsnest, where should I place them?

Hmmm no disrespect drillsar - But I have seen many tanks with t5's and sps dominated.

I have also seen (mine included) LED sps tanks (mine is mixed)

simpp88: how deep is the tank? When you say blue plus + purple + what does that mean? are you running any white? 10k or 20k

Metal halides are the way to go for SPS. To be honest I never seen t5's with SPS corals always MH.

I never seen t5 tanks with SPS thats what I said, didn't say it can't be done but all tanks I have seen that had SPS where MH.

u are running good bulbs so if ur using decent fixture I would think ur fine. I personally would throw in a coral+... so blue+coral+blue+purple+. When u look at corals ask about light requirements and flow requirements and place accordingly.

I never seen t5 tanks with SPS thats what I said, didn't say it can't be done but all tanks I have seen that had SPS where MH.

Metal halides are the way to go for SPS. To be honest I never seen t5's with SPS corals always MH.

This is the what sucks about this website.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1885414&highlight=t5+sps

Check the thread out for sps tanks with T5, 400w MH are pretty close to being unbeatable par and color wise but T5 can certainly put out enough PAR and color combo to have sps thrive.

What test kits are you using?

Your param's look good, have you double checked your test kits?

Back