Top brace for a 210 gal

bstoner

Premium Member
I recently picked up a 210 gallon RR tank in need of a new center brace.

The tank is an Oceanic tank 84"x24"x24", looks like it originally had a 24" wide glass center brace siliconed in place but I dont like that for access reasons.

I called the big tank mfgs including Oceanic and the only company that had anything was Perfecto, they have a tank brace/trim with the same dims and glass thickness that I could buy and silicone in place for around $200.00.

I am curious to how well a steel brace would work. I can weld so I could use some right angle steel to trim the whole top with two or three 1" flat stock cross braces across the top. I am sure this would be strong enough but I am worried about it rusting.

If I did do this I would coat it in something like POR-15 but I am not sure if it would be enough to keep it from rusting over time.

Another thing I am worried about is all the steel right angle pieces I have seen are not a true right angle on the inside so it wouldnt sit perfectly flush against the tank but I am not sure if that matters.

So what are your opinions on which way to go?

I wouldnt use steel or metal at all, coated or otherwise, above the tank.

I question the value/function of a brace that was only siliconed in place (assuming it was siliconed to the trim).

As for the fix, perhaps you can use two thinner plexiglass strips in lieu of the much larger glass. Is your issue with the current brace tank access or lighting?

I was siliconed directly to the glass in the front and back.

I thought about using two smaller pieces of glass or even three evenly spaced but for some reason that just bugs me.

I think just buying the top trim/brace from perfecto is the best route to go I am just checking out all my options.

I am fairly certain that a tank that long HAS to have bracing and most likely the solution from Perfecto would have 3 or more across.

hebygb, I know the tank "has" to have I am just trying to figure out the best way to go about it.

I bet you are right there are most likely 3 small sections for their plastic brace.

If I used glass they would have been 6-8" wide pieces but I dont really want to do it that way.

My tank is 109" long (9ft 3") and has only a single centre brace 6" wide. The trick is that it also has a 2" Euro brace around the perimeter. The centre brace is on top of the euro brace leaving a contact patch of 12sq in. - the same as a 24" wide brace on top of 1/2" glass. to get all of my Euro bracing cut and the centre brace was $180 at a glass shop.
Only catch was that I had to get a 4" wide strip ground and polished and then snapped in half to 2". Their equipment did not allow for 2" wide polished both sides. They ignored my quote the first time because it was impossible, but I kept pushing and they found a solution.

Euro Bracing would be nice, I wasnt aware that you could do it out of glass? I thought that was only for acrylic tanks. I thought it needed to be one continuous trim around the top?

Do you have any pictures of how it turned out?

This is the only pic I can find at the moment. The side pieces had not been installed yet but it gives the best idea as to what's going on. The little strips to raise the sides was not my doing. For whatever reason the original tank builder did that. Regardless, they have not caused me any problems at all. the Euro bracing keeps the tank perfectly flat with no bowing, in fact I think the tank measures 1/16" narrower in the middle.
250g005.jpg

hmmm, ok so you just have 4 pieces cut for the trim then pieces cut for the cross brace and siliconed them on, they dont overlap the glass just sit on top of it?

I might have to call a glass shop and see what they can do. Do you like how it turned out.

I had this issue before. What I did was built a frame around the whole top of the tank out of an old bed rail I had. I put two small steel stock braces across the top and rubber coated it with a rubberized coating spray can. I had that tank for 2 years and never had an issue!

Discutopia how thick is the glass? My glass company gave me some quotes, they can cut a 84" long 2" wide by 1/4" thick piece and polish the edges for $8.42 HA! If that thickness will work I am going to get off cheap on this one!

Glass was 1/2" or 12mm - alot more difficult to work with. =$$$
Plus my tank is 9ft so it has to come from a 10ft sheet

I think it turned out fantastic and it really makes the tank
A shot of the end (i hate how the flash exposes any fleck of dust and salt!)
P1000963.jpg

Only the middle brace overlaps, hence the notch in the hood
DSC02111.jpg

I didnt think of the length of yours being longer then a standard 4x8 sheet of glass that would make a difference in price! I wonder if 1/4 will be thick enough then?

I love the look, your tank looks great.

I'd go with the eurobracing. Contact a couple of glass companies. You might even find one that would cut the perimeter out of one piece (I did). I would think that would make it even that much stronger.

I got the old trim off last night. Still trying to decide if I want to go with a standard trim/brace from perfecto or try to eurobrace it. I need to call the glass shop on 1/2" glass to see if they can get it.

Here's my ONE piece Eurobrace on a Standard Perfecto 150 High.

Found a local glass shop that agreed to make it for me. Wasn't cheap though. Cost me $250 for that one piece of glass.

150_w-brace.jpg

Last edited:
That looks really nice Coralfragger. I called my glass shop and they said they have to order the 1/2" and it would make my overall cost about $250.00. Thats a pretty big difference and they cannot cut it like yours. However I am going to call another shop to see what they can do.

Coralfragger - that looks incredible!!!
bstoner - that was waterjet cut, i'd bet money on it - you can even cut overflow teeth that way!
In order to make that possible get a price on a sheet, then call a waterjet company and ask for a quote on the cutting only.

Im bringing this back up. Perfecto is now telling me that the brace they originally quoted to fit wont, its just a little too small.

So I am back to using 1/8" thick x 1 x 1 angle made out of 304 SS then coated in POR-15.

Only question I have is will the silicone adhere it to the tank well enough?

Back