Treating AEFW... What's the best method?

90sShooter

Here is a link to my other thread.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=14181309

I am wondering what the best way is. I just picked up a new tank and plan to upgrade after the treatment. I am wondering if I should use the new tank as a QT for the corals and then when I am done, clean it out again and then add sand and transfer everything over. Or if I dip ALL my rocks (with corals attached), will it be ok to just put them back in the display between dips?

This is what was explained to me to treat them. QT all SPS and dip once a week for 7 weeks while leaving the display SPS free for 2 months to kill off any remaing flatworms by starvation. Now, If I were to dip EVERY rock and coral would it be ok to just put them back in the display? I think this would reduce stress on the coral and since all the rock would be dipped, there should be no flatworms left behind that are being untreated. Unless of course they take refuge in the sand. Do they? Even so, if they did and then traveled on to the rock after I dipped the rock, it would most like be on the rock for the next dip and would then be treated. Then when I am finished with the series of dips, I will dip/wash the existing live sand and transfer to the new tank with additional new sand. This way I can set up the new tank and get it cycled (even though there should be minimal cycling considering I will be using mostly, if not all, existing live rock and live sand (50/50 new and old sand). Maybe even some existing water.

What is my best course of action?

How many dips are necessary to kill AEFW?

What is the best thing to use for dips? Fluke tabs? Coral revive?

Thanks for your help guys!

Mclaman! chip in, I know you have some experience ;)

As much as it sucks, I would listen to the dudes in the SPS forum. I haven't had experience with them personally but I have read about them. They seem to be a big reason for people tearing down their tanks/leaving the hobby.

To my knowledge the only method that has been proven to kill AEFW is levamisole dosed in a QT tank containing the infested acros. Treament can take a couple to severa weeks depending on the degree of infestation. This chemical is a bit harsh and some losses can be expected before erradication is achieved. Most of the iodine based dips that are available will be as effective as they are against monti eating nudis. Iodine will shock them and you can blow some of them off but it does not kill them easily.GL

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14181389#post14181389 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JOSE CASAS
Why start another thread when you have the info here
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1554072:)

Where? All I see is 2 posts saying dip 7 times... I am looking for a LITTLE more info than that. I have many other questions... snf one of my main questions has not been answered which was if it is necessary to put in a seperat QT if I am dipping EVERYTHING...

Thanks Jared, I have read that about levamisole too... I hear it is pretty hard to get a hold of right now... and is pretty harsh to the corals.

I don't think it is neccessary but might be more efficient. If you setup a QT tank you just add iodine for the dip, do a massive water change after the dip and then leave alone until the next dip. One benefit I see for a separate QT is that whatever eggs and AEFW's not on the acros will die in the display without a food source in the display. If you put everything back in the display after dipping then stray worms and eggs on the rocks/sand might remain.

Here is a link to a guy who did the lavamisole treatment this last year in case your interested:
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39789&highlight=aefw

Thanks guys... Does anybody know if these guys will wonder into the sand? Seems as though they stick to the rock... I think I will a try a dip soon and while dipping blast them off with my koralia. I guess after the first couple dips, I will have an idea how many remain by the amount of flatworms that come off compared to the initial dip. I guess I will dip until I see no more flatworms and then dip once more for good measure. As for weather or not I am going to setup a QT or just put back in the display, I am still not sure the QT is neccesary in my case.

Back