Treatment of a sick Blue Gigantea anemone

OrionN

Moved on
12 days ago, I got a small Blue Gigantea from a friend. He had the Gigantea for several weeks and it was doing well. He decided to concentrate on Magnifica instead and so he sends this Gigantea to me. Taken it from the rock, the foot was injured. My friend observed the Gigantea for a few days until it totally healed and then send the anemone to me.

On arrival (7/10/2019), he did not look well. I placed him in my office tank. He attached initially but let go overnight and the next morning was tumbling on the sand. Fortunately, the tank circulation decreased at night per the nigh protocol so he did not get chewed up by the PH. I took him out and bring him home for treatment (7/11/2019) with Ciprofloxacin.

Below are pictures of the anemone before, during and after treatment. He is doing well now but is denuded of tentacles. Only about 1/3 of the oral plate is covered with tentacle, the rest is denuded and void of tentacles. He is doing well at this time. Even in this poor shape, he started to sow the color of an nice Gigantea he have the potential to be. I hope I will be able to save him and bring him to his full glories

Arrival all deflated
attachment.php

A little bit more inflated but not doing well
attachment.php

In treatment tank. I used a cut to trap him in place so he wont float all over the place
attachment.php

Attached to bottom in hospital tank. I wish he attached to the cup but happy that he attached at all.
attachment.php

A few days after treatment initiated
attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

After 10 days of treatment, about 2.5 gram of Cipro and almost 200 gal of water. That is the whole box of Instant Ocean and RO water, the anemone does not deflated anymore and hold his shape. He lost about 3/4 of his tentacles. I am going out of town and not able to change the water daily or twice a day anymore for a few days, so I took him out and put him into my sump/refugium.
Last day of treatment, right before I use a razor blade to remove him from the bottom of the tank
attachment.php

1st day in the refugium. I pile rocks around and on him to get him to attach.
attachment.php

2nd day in the refugium. He already regain the color of the tentacles. I think he will be a beauty/special anemone, if I get him to live. I fed him a piece of salmon today and he ate it.
attachment.php

Picture this AM when I manually turn on the light early. I think he looks better, a few new bumps, early tentacles forming, and the mouth is close. Tentacles are longer
attachment.php

Feed him after work Friday. He is eating like a champ. Eating like this, he will be healed and healthy in no time.

Help him a bit by placing the salmon right next to his mouth. 2 pieces.
attachment.php

Going
attachment.php

Going
attachment.php

Gone, sorta
attachment.php

Really gone, done.
attachment.php

A lot of new tentacles are forming from Friday PM to Sunday. Can be seen here especially compared to last picture above.
I think his baldness will grow out in no time. If he live, and I think he will, he will be the absolute sickest anemone that I got to recovered. Took me 10 days with 200 gal box of Instant Ocean and quite a bit of work. Many days the first week I change water 2 times a day when he deflated. I am really happy about this anemone, and think that he will be quite a special anemone. Looks like one with both blue and green in coloration. The hard work and the money I spend on salt really worth it.
attachment.php

Back