Tried everything. Still cyano!!

Mine took about 3 days for the cyano to clear up. I thought it didn't work but on the 3rd day it was gone. There was a little bit of greyish colored residue on the rocks and sand I assumed that was the dead cyano. My water didn't turn cloudy or colored at all.

That's the way the Bryopsis died out too so hopefully this works.

Winning!!! Turned on the lights this morn and it's almost all gone. Will do a 20% change when I get home and then run new carbon. Hoping it stays gone b/c I cannot stand to look at the tank with all that crap!

Winning!!! Turned on the lights this morn and it's almost all gone. Will do a 20% change when I get home and then run new carbon. Hoping it stays gone b/c I cannot stand to look at the tank with all that crap!

Sweet! Hoping for the same results when I get home....

Still no noticeable change in DT but turned protein skimmer, carbon and UV back on. The skimmer is acting a little funny/sensitive.... :hmm3:

It's all gone!! But yeah, my skimmer is bonkers and even when dialed all the way back, it fills the cup in about 10 minutes. How long does it take before the skimmer is ok? No point of even running it as it just overflows back into the tank.

I also took this time to add a new 15 lb bag of special grade sand. The tank looks amazing now!

It's all gone!! But yeah, my skimmer is bonkers and even when dialed all the way back, it fills the cup in about 10 minutes. How long does it take before the skimmer is ok? No point of even running it as it just overflows back into the tank.

I also took this time to add a new 15 lb bag of special grade sand. The tank looks amazing now!

Hope I am this lucky - took a look this morning before heading to work and still could not tell a major difference :angryfire:. As instructed I turned everything back on after 24hrs... Still lights out until I get home which will make it 48 hrs... :crazy1:

The LFS said the skimmer may act like that for a whole week! I hope not as I do not like having the skimmer offline :(

I might do that this weekend when I am at home. I got another 10 gallons for an additional water change so I may use that method for the change. Thanks!

I know you were probably using Caribsea 40 bl special grade aragonite substrate!
They might be the root cause of your cyanobacteria !!!
Simple test for you, bring a magnetic bar and carefully run through your sand bed, you should be surprise how many magnetic particles/iron particles/volcanic particles you will catch, those might be the main cause of your cyanoses. Fe will definitely contribute for your nutrition level.

Please give that a try and let us know,

Glad it's working for you, Brandon. I have patches of cyano here and there, never really a problem, but I'm getting tired of looking at them. Your success may lead me to use chemi-clean, too!

Turned the lights back on today after having them off for 48hrs and don't see a much of a change :furious:... I think I may need to treat again in a few days..... GRRRRRR :headwalls:

hopefully it will continue to die off over the next day or so. I already did a 20% wc (i usually do 40 as my routine) but it said 20 so i did 20....

Well I was excited but now it's coming back. Anyone else heard of caribsea special grade sand causing it as stated before. I did try the magnet trick and sure enough it picked up like 20-30 bits. But I didn't think that was a whole lot for a 120 gallon. And none of them were rusting causing staining in the sand. And furthermore, if it was the sand, why would it have taken a year and a half to show up and only when my lights were old and my skimmer pump died? ALso many locals use this stuff and don't have cyano.. And what would be the correlation b/t cyano and small bits of volcanic material or iron etc?

Curious if my new MH lights aren't the cause as that was the thing I changed that was closest to when it started.

I am going to try running some GFO in my fluidized reactor this weekend to see if that helps. This is a total bummer as my tank looked so beautiful for a week :(

6221253949_f86528e98d_b.jpg

Refreshing my cleanup crew in the past has worked wonders on cyano. I get my clean up crews from reef cleaners on the web. If you haven't changed your crew in a while I would recommend this as well.

Back