Trigger expert

Why can't u have a huma huma with a puffer? I was planning on adding one to my tank. I currently have a mappa. Is that a problem

I haven't had experience with huma humas but have heard that they may harrass certain puffers. I decided not to chance it even though I want one badly. More justification for another tank. :)

After doing some more reading i would like to get a Naso a Niger a Gold Puffer and one other Trig just not sure what yet. Suggestions please.. Will the Naso be ok? Does this sound ok or should i go back to the drawing board? Thanks

Hello I have a update Nd need some advice.. I put a Niger in the tank 5 days ago. All was going well till last night. Now my clowns are not friends anymore the buyer one is picking on the small one. This is crazy because those 2 have been in the tank for 6 weeks and no problems were actually looking like they would be a pair. Now the bigger one is hanging with the Niger and chases the small clown all over the tank..

The only change I made was I switched my lighting from a small light that was all white bulbs and was a temporary till I got the right light up. To me it seems like the light is what is causing the problems. But I'm not sure. Or sure of what to do. I called a marine biologist that lives around here and takes care of some huge tanks like a 2500 salt tank at bass pro. But anyway he said to rearrange the rocks a little.. Which I will try when I get home from doctor appointment.. But thought I would post on here and see if anyone had any ideas.. Thanks

Any time you add a fish, it can completely change the dynamics between the established fish. A lot of people find that out too late.

clownfish are fickle. also what kind of clowns are they?
Percula

The thing is the aggressiveness just started last night after i added the proper lighting to the tank. When i added the other fish on friday i have monitored the tank constantly no aggression. Now i just got home and i shut off the blue t5s and turned on the 3 HIDS and they are acting normal so far. Could adding the blue lights make a difference? Cause the more i watch the more i am convinced that it is the blue lights causing the problem but just find this so hard to be leave..

Last edited:
doubtful but stranger things have happened. I've seen mated pairs turn on each other for
no reason I could see. Are the clowns the same age?
Also when you say picking on is it more chasing or is there fin damage and missing scales. Often enough their social interactions look like fighting but is very important for the female in asserting her dominance over the smaller male or other juveniles. If both fish appear healthy I would just let them go as this is them strengthening their bond.

There is some minor fin damage. It has been allot of chasing and some nipping. But mostly chasing across the tank she likes to corner him in between the overflow and the front of the tank.

I have called every body and there brother asking about my light theory and i get the same answer doubtful but i can say i have sat at my desk since noon when i shut off the blue lights and they have been perfectly fine swimming together again playing no chasing no nipping. I am gonna let the lights cycle and shut HIDs off and turn blues back on when i get home. I am totally baffled by this.

I dont know maybe my light cycle is off. Im just so new to the hobby i dont know where to start. I have the Current USA 72 inch orbiter it has 3 250 hids and 8 t5s and the the luner LEDs. Can some one recommend a cycle for me. I have the t5s are all blues and hids are whites. Thanks

Like every other diurnal animal they use a 10-12 hour light cycle with 12-14 hours of darkness. with new animals I like to leave the lights off for a few days.

you still havent given us the age of the animals. if one is a mature female and the smaller one is undergoing a sex change she will eventually kill it no matter what the lights are doing.

Here a few picks of them not sure how to tell the age.. The Marine biologist was in there and picked the fish out for me.. He said one male one female.. And he is who I talk to not the shop owner.. I always call him and see when he is gonna be in the shop taking care of the tanks.. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349213141.253179.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1349213171.235688.jpg

those pics arent the greatet but they dont appear to be percs at all. Can you get some better ones? They almost look like juvi maroon clowns and if that is the case that would explain everything.

I will take better picks when I get home.. They look the same just the female is a little darker on the fins.. I would hope a marine biologist could tell the difference In the too.. But who knows..

definitely maroons, possibly a m/f but its tough to tell..also as stykthyn stated, that would explain the issues as these clowns are notoriously aggressive

yeah the more I look at them those are white stripe maroons. the female will kill the subordinate. I give them a couple days from the start of first noted aggression. remove one or both ASAP. no amount of lighting changes will make this less true. I wouldnt rely on a marine biologist to be familiar with every fish in the sea. Most specialize in a certain biotope or more specifically 1 species and its usually local. If your LFS cant tell you what you are buying stop shopping there or at least do homework on what you want and make sure that you can positively ID what you are buying. Fish are often mislabeled by a counter jockey making minimum wage.

I feel like a idiot I thought all a long they were perculas.. Why did they get along fine for 6 weeks and now they aren't? God what freaking dumb *** I am..

Back