Trigger ID

NexDog

Snail Killer
Premium Member
Not really up on my Triggers but thinking about getting one of teh more passive ones. Never seen a Blue Jaw Trigger here in Japan. What is this though and what's its temperament?

f113.jpg

hamiltonguy

Yep, definitely a niger trigger (Odonus niger), seems a little beat up though or is that just me ??? . I hear they can be fairly aggressive when they get big but you have a large tank so I don't think it should be a problem.

I'm not expert though, I've never kept one (only have one 20g tank hehe) but I've read a lot on them.

Bax

Premium Member
From what I've read young Niger are OK. Blue jaws, pink tails, ringens (sargasum), and of course cross hatches are the most "reef safe" long term. I think most of what you read will agree the ringens is the mellowest.

... Just don't get attached to your snails, hermits, crabs and possibly ornamental shrimp.

That said, I think there's a pink tail in my future for my 375.

NexDog

Snail Killer
Premium Member
Awesome, thanks much. Only $10 for a 2" specimen. Seems very cheap but looks like they are native here. Going to get it methinks. :)

Mentat

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14798060#post14798060 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dizzle63
Am I missing something? It looks like an angel...
That's not the original picture, it showed a Niger triggerfish. Either the first post was edited or the photo link was modified.