Trigger ID

NexDog

Snail Killer
Premium Member
Not really up on my Triggers but thinking about getting one of teh more passive ones. Never seen a Blue Jaw Trigger here in Japan. What is this though and what's its temperament?

f113.jpg

Yep, definitely a niger trigger (Odonus niger), seems a little beat up though or is that just me ??? . I hear they can be fairly aggressive when they get big but you have a large tank so I don't think it should be a problem.

I'm not expert though, I've never kept one (only have one 20g tank hehe) but I've read a lot on them.

From what I've read young Niger are OK. Blue jaws, pink tails, ringens (sargasum), and of course cross hatches are the most "reef safe" long term. I think most of what you read will agree the ringens is the mellowest.

... Just don't get attached to your snails, hermits, crabs and possibly ornamental shrimp.

That said, I think there's a pink tail in my future for my 375.

Awesome, thanks much. Only $10 for a 2" specimen. Seems very cheap but looks like they are native here. Going to get it methinks. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14798060#post14798060 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dizzle63
Am I missing something? It looks like an angel...
That's not the original picture, it showed a Niger triggerfish. Either the first post was edited or the photo link was modified.

Back